Courtney Mihocik

Brands that give back are always in style

Many clothing brands advertise that they give back to charity, but shoppers should be careful to support companies that really deliver on their promises.

It’s no doubt that the fashion industry is one of the most lucrative industries that dominates our financial and social realms. Designers like Louboutin, Burberry and Dior rake in millions of dollars each year for their traditional threads and seasonal lines.

Even celebrities have been making money off fashion by starting their own lines. These lines have made their way onto our fashion radars and into our closets. I even have to admit, I adored Lauren Conrad’s line when I was in high school.

High-quality designers and celebrities have the power, influence and financial means to change the state of the world and society today. With a slew of charitable foundations fighting for bettering lives afflicted by disease, poverty and violence, there’s an abundant amount of ways to reach out and give back.

In 2008, Burberry established the Burberry Foundation to empower young people “through granting financial support to innovative programs and partnering with charitable organizations,” according to a 2013 memo from Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts. Since the beginning of this foundation, Burberry has worked with 21 charities in 12 cities and annually donates 3,000 coats worldwide for underprivileged children.

There is even a movement of small start-up companies whose sole purpose is to raise money for charitable causes. Brands like Headbands for Hope and Sevenly openly state that they’re producing and selling products for cancer awareness, women’s rights, environmental concern and to give toys to children.

Some brands are being charitable, but could do a lot more to give back.

Christian Louboutin, known most for red soled, high fashion shoes has had one slightly recent campaign. Louboutin designed an ugly pink suede pair of shoes, teamed with the Grameen Foundation and sold the shoes for only a month, at $725, and only a portion of those sales went to the fight for alleviating world poverty.

Okay, Louboutin, you do you. I personally wouldn’t drop $725 on a pair of shoes for charity, especially if only a portion of that money is going toward a good cause and the rest toward the company’s profit or manufacturing costs.

But I would regularly participate in a customer base for a company that donates throughout the year, not just for a month. If I’m going to drop serious dough on a Burberry coat or some Michael Kors bag, at least I know that they’re not giving back for only that month to bring in sales, but that they’re giving back regularly.

So yeah, save up some Benjamin’s for a nice plaid scarf and feel good about it.

Courtney Mihocik is a sophomore studying journalism and a copy editor at The Post. Email her at cm674912@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @CourtneyMiho.