Courtney Mihocik

Fashion is more than just thread or dazzling red carpet dresses

There are many things to consider when donning a pair of sweats and a hoodie for an early morning class or making yourself beautiful and dapper for an evening out on the town.

I’m willing to bet that when you’re rummaging through your drawers or closet, you rarely think about where your threads actually came from before you bought it at a store or sneakily snatched it from your roommate a year ago.

Fashion isn’t just about the Ellie Saab dress Emma Stone sported on the red carpet or those beautiful weeks when all I want to do is see what Burberry came up with this season on the runway. It’s also about the impact on the economy, environment and society — on local, national and international stages.

So I’m going to look into these impacts and how they affect our wallets, our social circles and Mother Nature. I’m going to give you the low-down on what happens before and after our clothes, beauty and hair products get stocked in our favorite stores and added to our online shopping carts.

How are we making our clothing and fashion choices in order to treat the world around us with respect? Is that company that you and your friends faithfully shop at making their clothes in good taste or using underpaid, overworked employees to manufacture products from materials that have a negative impact on nature?

So, what does all that have to do with us lowly college students trudging to class on the curtails of winter, wearing sweatpants, leggings and some coffee-stained hoodie?

Well, someone bought your clothes and — for you DIY-ers out there — the fabric and thread to create them. There’s also groups of people in parts of the world who harvest cotton and manufactures the materials.

I hope to better inform not only myself, but also audiences with the bigger picture of this self-expressive aspect of society.

I’m not going to bore you every single week with the big picture of the fashion industry, though. I’ll still give updates and my opinion on trends, DIY projects and why Kanye’s fashion line looks like someone wrapped a bunch of bored models in flesh-toned potato sacks. What’s up with that? Anna Wintour didn’t look too amused by it, either.

Anyways, always wear a smile but never a brown belt with black shoes.

Courtney Mihocik is a sophomore studying journalism and a copy editor at The Post. Email her at cm674912@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @CourtneyMiho.