#FestSeasonTips Logo

#FestSeasonTips: Students wanting to workout during Fest Season can follow these simple exercises to do in their bedrooms

Here’s how students can workout in their bedrooms during Fest Season.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6903126e-ce8b-11e4-a4b5-17d021a8c1c8"}}

With fest season already underway, many students will be spending less time working out and more time partying.

This can lead to weight gain and general unhealthy lifestyle behaviors. There is a shining light in the partying abyss, however, as there are many exercises you can do from the comfort of your own bedroom.

Try to plan these exercises out so you’re not bothering your roommates. It’s also better if you mix up your routines and make working out a daily task. Don’t be afraid to get inventive!

Here are 10 quick and easy workouts you can do to burn off those extra pounds and keep from getting a beer belly:

1. Jumping Jacks: This classic exercise can easily be done in any room without taking up too much time or space. They will require many repetitions in order for them to make some sort of difference, though, so be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

via Tumblr user viral-motivation

1. Pushups: Most people forget that a lot of times you don’t need any extra weights added to your workout. That’s where these tasks come in handy as you can use your body against itself to build up muscles in the chest and arms.

via Tumblr user 2legit2notbefit

1. Stair climbers: These should be done quickly with many at one time. Since these take up more floor space, but not enough to prohibit you doing them in your room, make sure there is adequate distance between you and other objects.

via Tumblr user alexespitia

1. Wall-sits: This exercise gives you a reason to use your walls for something other than hanging your “Friends” poster. The traditional workout will work great for getting rid of the extra weight from your thighs and butt, if that’s what you’re looking for.

via Tumblr user gurl

1. Sit-ups: For those who might gain weight in their stomach, sit-ups can be one of the best ways to sweat off the excess chub you might get while drinking this spring. The use of a yoga mat is highly recommended because bedroom floors tend to be uncomfortable for working out.

via Tumblr user dagrassaagrandiosa

1. Planks: This is another core exercise you can do conveniently in your room, starting in the pushup position and holding yourself there for a few seconds. Try to stay there for as long as you can and repeat the set as many times as you’d like. Planks work better if you tighten your abdominal muscles in the process.

via Tumblr user kingbegor

1. Squats: The ever-popular “30-day squat challenge” already helps people everywhere develop tighter tushes over the course of a month, but you can do these in your room without needing too much space. These are guaranteed to get rid of the roll between your butt and thighs — trust me.

via Tumblr user aqilfitness

1. Chair dips: For those who don’t use their dorm desk for anything more than a storage space, this puts that rickety, wooden chair to good use. This exercise is done by placing your hands on the edge of your seat with your back facing the chair. After that, all you have to do is bend at the elbows, lowering your body towards the ground. This is good for not only your triceps, but for the good of lonely desk chairs everywhere.

via Tumblr user healthfitnesshumour

1. Calf raises: Since skipping leg day certainly is not an option, calf raises are a great option for people looking to workout without leaving home. These take up hardly any space and are able to be done quickly, even in the shower for those of you who are hard-pressed for time.

via Tumblr user workout-in-progress

1. Hula hoops: If you’ve got a bigger amount of space or a common room you can workout in, buying a hula hoop might be a smart investment. Not only are these elementary school staples fun, but they also work out your abs. As with everything, if you tighten your muscles you’ll see more of a result.

Will Gibbs is a sophomore studying journalism. Email him at wg868213@ohio.edu or tweet him your #FestSeasonTips on Twitter at @w_gibbs.