The GoBus picks up and drops off students in front of The Convo at Ohio University. The GoBus has routes to Cincinnati, Columbus and Marietta. (KAITLIN OWENS | FILE)

Go Bus heads to Cleveland

Ohio University students from Northeast Ohio no longer have to hitchhike home.

GoBus recently announced it would expand its services — daily bus trips to cities throughout Ohio — to include Cleveland and other stops in the region. A one-way ticket on the route will set riders back $25.

More than 3,000 OU students resided in the counties serviced by the new route in 2013, according to a university report.

The new route runs twice daily. A bus departs from the Parma, Ohio bus office at 11:25 a.m. and arrives at Baker University Center at 4:15 p.m. At 4:45 p.m., a bus leaves Baker Center and arrives in Parma at 9:40 p.m.

Both the north and southbound trips include stops in: Marietta, Caldwell, Cambridge, New Philadelphia, Canton, Akron, Broadview Heights and Cleveland.

Buses started making the trip on March 6. Riders currently must buy tickets on Greyhound.com, but will soon be able to snag them straight from RideGoBus.com, according to the website.

Prior to the announcement, those looking to catch a bus from Athens to Cleveland had to ride a Lakefront Lines bus to Columbus, then change buses before heading to Cleveland. The trip includes a roughly three-hour layover in Columbus, and five total hours of ride time.

The new GoBus route is $4 more expensive, but doesn’t include a bus change, and someone riding the route end-to-end can do so in a little under five hours.

The announcement comes three months after “ride board,” a university website designed to help students find rides home with other students, vanished from the web due to an outdated server.

@JeremyHTweets

jh082913@ohio.edu