Ohio University senior Connor Spies, right, drinks from his water bottle as partygoers try to tie up a tarp to cover the porch of a Milliron Street residence as other people party below. Rain fell consistently during Milliron Fest in Athens, Ohio, on Friday, March 13, 2015. 

Milliron Fest maintains rainy and mild vibe

@ThePost's first fest coverage of the year. Make sure to follow @ThePostLocal for the live tweets!

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0a0aa9c6-c9f3-11e4-b07e-fb37507fc0f6"}}

Milliron Fest-goers didn't mind a little rain diluting their beer Friday as the street kicked off the 2015 fest season. 

The early hours of Milliron Fest — the first fest of the spring semester — proved to be fairly mild, with most party-goers huddled under blue tents put up by the street’s residents. 

Though many Milliron homes were playing music and entertaining a crowd of dozens early on, most residents said Milliron Fest really peaks around 10 or 11 p.m. 

“A lot of my friends weren’t coming out ‘cause of the weather,” Caleb Russell, a sophomore studying pre-medicine and a Milliron Street resident, said. “(The fest) usually gets going later.”

A light rain persisted throughout the fest, forcing many fest-goers into homes or under tarps.

However, students were confident in Milliron Fest’s success, saying a little rain would not stop their partying.

“Rain didn’t stop us from going to fests when we were freshmen and sophomores,” Jon Carlson, a junior studying pre-law, said.

Some partygoers believed the rain might only affect which students attended Milliron Fest.

“I think a lot of the upperclassmen who live off-campus are going to come out (later), but not necessarily the students who live on campus in dorms,” Aaron Applegarth, a junior studying marketing, said. “Once everyone gets over the rain, everyone is going to have fun with it.”

Later on in the festivities, some plastic tarps began to collapse, either under the weight of the rainfall or due to poor construction.

“We’re probably going to have replace (our tent) soon,” Tangi Hamilton, a senior, said “We saw the people across the street putting a tarp up this morning, and we were like ‘Oh, we should probably do that too.”

But even with tents collapsing and many students turning in due to the rain, some first-time fest goers refused to wave a white flag.

“It’s whatever,” Annie Demith, an undecided freshman, said. “It’s not going to stop us.”

Caleb Smith, a junior studying wildlife and conservation, even took his scooter out in the rain and began riding around during Milliron Fest.

“We’re just planning to drink a little and have fun,” he said.

— William T. Perkins contributed to this report

lf4914132@ohio.edu

@LukeFurmanOU 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="857ac7dc-c933-11e4-8edb-17d2664a484a"}}