OUPD nabs man on campus who had handgun, narcotics

OUPD arrested a man after a traffic stop, narcotics and firearm found

Ohio University Police arrested a man from The Plains on Monday on suspicion of having weapons while potentially under the influence of drugs. The arrest came after a traffic stop by OUPD, which also conducted a K9 search.

Christian Thomas, 33, was transported to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and was held on bond after an OU police officer initiated a traffic stop around 5:40 p.m. Thomas possessed a handgun when he encountered police.

The officer observed Thomas driving a silver Volkswagen while traveling south on South Green Drive at a high rate of speed, according to a police report, which also stated that Thomas was traveling 39 mph in a 25 mph zone.

During the stop, the officer detected a slight odor of marijuana, and a K9 from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was requested at about 6 p.m. to sniff the vehicle.

The canine, Ryder, was deployed for an external sniff and gave a positive indication of narcotics, according to a sheriff’s report.

Authorities found a small amount of narcotics, a hidden handgun and a large amount of money in the vehicle Thomas was driving.

Thomas was charged with having weapons while under disability, though other charges are still pending.

Thomas was scheduled to appear in Athens County Municipal Court on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m., though court records were not available as of press time.

@JoshuaLim93

jl951613@ohio.edu