Maria Fischer

OU’s spring break came at the perfect time

Some students complained about OU’s spring break being early. But Maria argues that it fell at the perfect time.

Whether last week was spent on a beach, on your couch or in bed, chances are spring break was exactly what you needed.

A post-midterm break is essential. Students need some time to regroup, re-assess their semester and get back on track if necessary. After spending several hectic weeks in the library, meeting with professors and preparing for midterms, students’ high stress levels are rewarded with a week of rest and relaxation.

And for that reason, spring break fell at just the right time, despite some arguments that Ohio University’s spring break was a bit too early.

OU’s spring break began the night of February 27. While spring break in the winter month of February might seem rather early, the last few days in February cued the beginning of Week 8: the halfway point of the semester.

Spring break divides the semester into two equal halves, allowing professors the opportunity to issue midterms (literally) in the middle of the term. Students can leave for a week without any looming tests waiting for them when they get back.

But what is waiting for students upon return? Fest season.

Spring break wraps up the first week of March, and then Mill Fest is the first Saturday to follow. Students hardly have time to unpack before fest season is in full swing. 

By scheduling an early spring break, the rest of the semester can be dedicated to fests, good times and typical OU shenanigans. Having a spring break fall right in the middle of fest season would just be a wedge in the fun.

Still bitter about a snowy break? Just remember: many high schools have already started getting rid of spring break. Early or not, at least OU has a spring break.

And now that students have had time to rejuvenate and catch up on their studies, a stress-free fest season can commence.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu.