The student senate executive board during the senate meeting in Walter Hall, at Ohio University, in Athens, Ohio, on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014. 

Senate to vote on resolution for mock trustee meeting

The event, organized by the Ohio University Student Union, is aimed at educating students on OU's Board of Trustees.

The Ohio University Student Union wants to educate students about the Board of Trustees through a mock meeting they plan to hold Friday.

OU’s Student Senate will vote on a resolution at its Wednesday meeting regarding the faux meeting, dubbed “The Board: A Dark Comedy with Pizza.”

“We find the un-democratic structure of Ohio University’s decision making process absurd and so heartbreaking it forces us to laugh,” reads the first line of a resolution to support the mock Board of Trustees meeting.

The resolution goes on to describe the Board as a group that is makes “jokes” by passing tuition hikes, adopting plans to build a natural gas pipeline underneath the Hocking River and neglecting to guarantee funding to OU’s Survivor Advocacy Program.

“The more students who know about the Board’s tendency to joke with their livelihoods, the more they will want to participate in the joke-telling, thus creating a funnier and more democratic university,” according to the resolution.

The general body will also vote on a resolution to add a vote of no confidence in administration and the Board of Trustees to Student Senate’s April ballot.

With this potential addition, senate hopes to gain a better understanding of student confidence in the university’s top decision-makers.

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler