Copeland Hall houses the College of Business.

Senior named OU’s marketing student of the year

Christine Woods, marketing senior, will be honored at the marketing symposium on March 26 as OU’s first annual marketing student of the year.

Ohio University’s College of Business awarded Senior Christine Woods as Best-In-Class marketing student Thursday at its inaugural Marketing Symposium.

“I am really excited to get the award. It’s quite an accomplishment,” Woods said. “I’m really happy that it also gives recognition to AMA and the marketing department. It’s going to be a great thing to continue.”

Those who applied for the distinction must have been a marketing senior graduating by December 2015, a part of the Ohio University American Marketing Association and have a certain GPA. Woods said applicants also had to describe what community service they did, their involvements on campus and have relevant internship experience.

This is the first year the College of Business has given out the award. Though Woods received the award at Thursday’s symposium, she found out about it a few weeks ago.

“I actually learned when I was on spring break,” she said. “I got an email from the marketing chair congratulating me.”

The application went out to all marketing students who fulfilled certain requirements and were a part of the American Marketing, said Raj Agnihotri, chair of the marketing department.

Agnihotri said he wants to see this event continued in the future.

“We want to make this an annual thing. That’s the goal,” he said. “It’s all about students learning and getting out-of-class experience.”

The college also recognized marketing professor Catherine Axinn with the Distinguished Marketing Faculty Award.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6b1a9672-d1aa-11e4-b7e0-23ea89923ade"}}

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu