Ohio University junior Tywan Claxton (left) grapples with an Eastern Michigan wrestler. The Bobcats defeated the Eagles 22-13 during their meet at the Convocation Center on Sunday, January 19, 2014. 

Wrestling: Ohio Will Appeal Tywan Claxton’s Eligibility

Ohio will file an appeal to the NCAA in order for Tywan Claxton to earn an extra year of eligibility. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5996f63a-d271-11e4-84ea-0f377e107377"}}

Ohio will file an appeal to the NCAA in order to regain the year that Tywan Claxton lost when he transferred to Ohio his sophomore year, coach Joel Greenlee said Thursday.

Claxton attended King University -- a Division II school -- in Tennessee his freshman year where he became an All-American. He transferred to Ohio his sophomore year and lost a year of eligibility despite only competing once, according to Greenlee.

“You’ve got to file an appeal with the NCAA and you’re kind of at their mercy,” Greenlee said. “I’ve seen people get it for a lot less. He competed once in his sophomore year. It was before Christmas and everything else began.”

Claxton said he will not be paying attention to the appeal process, as it’ll mostly be handled by Greenlee and his staff.

Claxton is a two-time NCAA qualifier during his two full years at Ohio. He was knocked out in the “blood round” during this past weekend’s NCAA Championships as he fell short of his first-ever All-American bid.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c33bc132-d0e7-11e4-9115-bb03cb85c1cf"}}

ef684013@ohio.edu