Athens County Courthouse (FILE)

Athens County is getting a new lawn mower

It’s the weekly Tuesday morning meeting, where the Athens County Commissioners met with representatives from the Dog Shelter, Bob Gallagher and Zachary Saunders.

Athens County Commissioners met with Zachary Saunders, an attorney for Mollica Gall Sloan & Sillery Company, at their meeting Tuesday morning to discuss plans to renovate the county’s law library, located on the fourth floor in the Athens County Common Pleas Court.

The project would include taking out the back wall of the library and putting in three or four rooms that could be used for private meetings, Saunders said.

“The rooms can be used for mediations, or for client and attorney meetings or even it can be used by the public,” Saunders added.

As of right now there is no timetable or start date for the project, Saunders said, though he’s hoping the commissioners will decide soon so the plan can be put in motion.

“It’s a pretty good proposal,” Chris Chmiel, county commissioner, said. “Legally they can’t pay for the renovations, so they need our money and it probably won’t be a problem.”

The cost of the renovations will be somewhere around $14,000, Chmiel said.

Bob Gallagher, director of Athens County Job and Family Services, was also present at the meeting Tuesday morning. At that meeting, Gallagher and the commissioners came to an agreement to split the cost of a new lawn mower for the county.

“We are getting a new zero-turn tractor to help maintain the grounds in the county,” Chmiel said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="677fa014-e7c8-11e4-af3d-5f9482d34430"}}

“We want to keep maintaining the bike path and we can use the new tractor to do that.”

The commissioners also had representatives from the Athens County Dog Shelter come in with their monthly statistics.

“It was just an update we do every month,” Lenny Eliason, county commissioner, said.

Earlier in the year, the dog shelter’s profits and the amount of dogs staying in the shelter were down, though that’s turned around for the better since.

“The numbers were looking really good,” Chmiel said. “There has definitely been improvement over there.”

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu