Baseball: Ohio Ousted By Bowling Green, 11-1

Ohio drops series as they're routed by Bowling Green on Sunday afternoon 

Sunday afternoon’s matchup against Bowling Green was not the rubber match that Ohio had hoped for.

The Bobcats were ousted by the Falcons 11-0, as six errors and a weak offensive performance cost Ohio a chance to take the series.

Bowling Green struck in the first inning as Brandon Howard walked to reach first, stole second, and then third. He scored via a wild pitch from Ohio starter Jake Rudnicki. 

They struck again in the bottom of the second as left fielder Jesse Rait led off the inning with a home run deep over the left field fence.

Then, with the bases loaded, Rudnicki walked Howard, allowing Derek Drewes to score. Trey Keegan came up to the plate next, hitting a sacrifice fly to score Brian Bien. 

In the bottom of the inning, Ohio had an opportunity to cut into Bowling Green’s as they loaded the bases with two outs, but Finkler popped out to right field to end the scoring threat.

Randy Righter tacked on one more run for the Falcons in the top of the 6th, hitting a leadoff homerun to left field. Jake Rudnicki was pulled after the leadoff homerun in favor of reliever Christian Botter, who allowed an unearned run to score off a Howard single.

After Botter threw a wild pitch that allowed a runner to score, David Hamlett entered the game in the top of the 6th with the score at 8-0. He allowed Drewes to score on a wild pitch in the 7th inning.

Trey Keegan then hit a two-run single to make the score 10-0.

The Bobcats used one more relief pitcher in the 7th inning as Corey Wells came in to relieve Hamlett.

Keegan’s RBI single in the 9th inning made it 11-0 for the Falcons.

The Bobcats got on the board in the bottom of the 9th courtesy of an RBI groundout from Logan Cozart.

Bowling Green starter Zac Carey pitched 8 1/3 innings, allowing four hits, no runs, five walks, and three strikeouts.

Ohio (19-14, 6-6 MAC) will travel to Youngstown State on Wednesday.