Troy Mangen of Ohio is tackled by his Northern Illinois defender Jamaal Bass in their night game Tuesday, November 18, 2014. 

Bobcats ready for friendly “smack talk” in spring game

Ohio will compete for the final time until fall camp begins this weekend with the annual spring game.

The Bobcats will take to the field one final time before the end of the spring season.

The intensity and trash talk will heighten for Saturday’s Green and White game because it’s the last time players can make an impression on the coaching staff until fall practice starts in August. It also could determine who starts in the fall.

Spring games are not played like normal, fall football games because the coaches dictate what different situations they want to put the team through. Defensive points can be awarded for things such as sacks or three-and-out drives by the offense.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="461f59a6-d70f-11e4-b1a7-5b9a522084ec"}}

A chance to earn more playing time in the fall drives the competition on the field, and though all players are teammates, the atmosphere heightens the intensity level a bit more.

“It gets a bit competitive out there because we have a lot of young guys competing for spots out there,” redshirt senior linebacker Jovon Johnson said. “There’s a lot of smack talk going on out there.”

The quarterback position has received the most significant attention during the past two springs as redshirt senior Derrius Vick continues to be challenged by redshirt junior J.D. Sprague for the starting spot. According to coach Frank Solich, there still isn’t a clear-cut starter heading into Saturday.

Although Vick seems to be the front-runner for the position based on how many snaps he has taken in practice, Sprague has taken steps forward in terms of making the right reads on the field.

The coaches will also be paying attention to the wide receiving corps, which needs to replace the production of Chase Cochran and Landon Smith on the field. Junior Sebastian Smith has solidified himself at the Bobcats’ top one option on the outside with sophomores Brendan Cope and Robbie Walker working in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.

One other position that has transformed this spring is the secondary after losing safeties Josh Kristoff and Thad Ingol to graduation. With returning redshirt senior starters Ian Wells and Devin Bass sitting out most of the spring practices, sophomore Kylan Nelson and redshirt senior Devin Jones have seen more time on the field.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a8abb59c-d7e1-11e4-a0b9-87793e1f8d75"}}

“A lot (of) young players have gotten work in the secondary because a lot of our secondary are coming off surgeries from injuries last season,” Solich said. “So a lot of young guys are battling for spots there.”

Besides the intersquad scrimmage Ohio had two weeks ago, hitting in practice has been limited to a minimum. In the spring game, the Bobcats will finally go to live game situations with the only exception being the quarterbacks cannot be hit.

“It’s always good to go out there and hit someone,” Johnson said. “We still try to keep each other healthy and try and take care of one another. We’re not trying to go out there and tee off on our teammates because we need them come fall season.”

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohio.edu