Andy Trout, a local barber, holds the beard oil he developed. 

Local barber pushes handmade beard oil

Andy Trout, barber at Carsey’s Barber Shop, recently released “Old Timer’s Beard Oil,” a facial hair moisturizer Trout formulated and made himself.

One Athens barber wants to help residents keep their beards in tip-top shape.

Andy Trout, a barber at Carsey’s Barber Shop, released Old Timer’s beard oil on Thursday, a product meant to moisturize and condition facial hair.

Directions on the bottle read: “Shake well, apply to damp beard using 5-7 drops, rub in hands, apply evenly to beard.”

A one fluid ounce bottle will set buyers back $15, but Trout said one bottle should last most beard-wearers anywhere from a month to a month-and-a-half.

Old Timer’s is sold at Carsey’s Barber Shop, 72 N. Court St., and the Import House, 68 N Court St.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="17a6984c-e479-11e4-941f-5363cd72aba2"}}

Trout released the beard oil on April 15 in response to a lack of local facial hair products, he said.

“It was just something I thought about,” said Trout. “There is nothing local.”

Trout mixes and bottles the oil in the shop.

The mixture is a mish-mash of oils, including coconut, eucalyptus, grapeseed, olive, pequi, tea tree, “sweet organic citrus” and avocado, as well as vitamins A, D and E, according to the label.

Trout said he settled on the formula after researching the ingredients in other beard oils on the internet.

Trout has been working as a barber for under a year. At 38 years old, he’s spent close to 20 years in the U.S. Navy. He spent the majority of his career as a sonar technician.

Trout has been all over the world, including Afghanistan and “places most people would never want to be,” he said.

He’s no longer an active duty service member, but continues to work in logistics for the Navy.

jh082913@ohio.edu

@JeremyHTweets