Student senate president Megan Marzec during the senate meeting in Walter Hall, at Ohio University, in Athens, Ohio, on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014. 

Marzec, others reflect on year running OU Student Senate

Current Student Senate executives reflect on their term and newly elected senators discuss plans for the future before the final general body meeting of the year. 

Student Senate began the year with a bucket of “blood” and a lot of debate.

As the 2014-15 term comes to a close, Student Senate executives reflect on the year, while newly elected members of the SOS ticket prepare for the future.

The year began with a rocky start after Student Senate President Megan Marzec’s “blood bucket” challenge video touched off debate on Ohio University campus in September. Shortly after, the debate trickled into senate meetings.

“I hope everyone understands that your political philosophy is not separate from your daily actions,” Marzec said. “I hope people can recognize that and move forth, and be ready to take critique and to defend themselves. I think defending what you believe in is very important.”

She said the controversy didn’t affect her ability to govern and lists the “creation of a political space on campus” and “rejuvenation of political discussion” among the things she believes senate has achieved this term.

“It’s not physically possible to do more than we did,” she said.

When senate meets Wednesday night, outgoing executives will induct the new senators.

Recently, senate passed a resolution to open voting to any student registered at OU’s Athens campus who attends two consecutive senate meetings. The resolution immediately received criticism from the body about the practicality of a direct democracy.

Marzec and Vice President Caitlyn McDaniel are sponsors on the single resolution that will be proposed at Wednesday’s meeting. The final resolution of the year will focus on designating a committee to research the implementation of a direct democracy, specifically opening voting at general body meetings to all OU students. President-elect Gabby Bacha is also a sponsor on this resolution.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b8845b1c-3396-11e4-92ff-0017a43b2370"}}

“We need to establish this committee to explore our options of governance and determine if it’s feasible or not feasible,” Bacha said. “We need to take our time and do this right so we don’t just rush into something.”

McDaniel, who is an advocate for direct democracy, said she wishes senate had been able to introduce open voting sooner.

“In theory, direct democracy is a really great idea, but ‘theory’ isn’t real life all the time,” said Hannah Clouser, treasurer-elect.

SOS said it plan to begin its term with a constitutional amendment that would allow the student body to recall elections and impeach senators. It also plans to reinstate Robert’s Rules of Order.

“We have issues with the way things are happening in senate this year; there’s a lack of order and a lack of structure,” said Jacob Haskins, vice commissioner for Residence Life and newly-elected West Green senator. “Without Robert’s Rules there’s not a guideline; you just play it by ear every meeting.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e02ef1c0-b7cd-11e4-a798-631916dc3439"}}

The SOS ticket ran on a platform of holding senators and administrators accountable and promising that its own opinions and personal political agendas would take a backseat to student needs.

Marzec cautioned new senators against ignoring their political beliefs by advising them to be open with students about where they stand on important issues.

“To say that politics don’t have a place in student government is a false statement,” Marzec said. “I think it’s very dangerous to claim that politics or alliances don’t exist within that room, because they do, and it’s better to just be honest about it.”

The final senate meeting of the year will take place Wednesday in Walter Hall Room 235.

All three current senate executives — Marzec, McDaniel, and Treasurer Zainab Kandeh — will be graduating at the conclusion of Spring Semester.

“My real advice for anyone is to fight back,” Marzec said. “The administration has proven themselves over and over to not be interested in the student input, to not confer with students seriously, and that started way before I was ever elected.”

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu