Maria Fischer - Campus Chatter

Office hours remain easy way to boost grades

Columnist discusses the benefits to teacher interaction outside of the classroom. 

The final week of the semester has officially come to an end — and unfortunately, many students are now finding themselves with some serious post-semester regret.

Thoughts and worries range from “I should’ve studied for that midterm in February” to “I definitely could have spent a few more hours in the library.”

But perhaps the biggest regret of them all:

“Why didn’t I carve out time to attend office hours?”

Attending office hours is a simple, effective and underrated strategy for scoring good grades. Professors put their office hours at the top of their syllabus for a reason: they want students to come.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f8ff4bc8-ce75-11e4-9146-0ba3f9f626d2"}}

“Students need to establish a relationship with their professors from the beginning of the semester, and attending office hours is a failsafe way to achieve that goal,” Jorie Scholnik, PR writer and etiquette associate, wrote two years ago in her USA Today College column.

Even if you just stop by to introduce yourself, office hours are a great way to get to know your professor and their academic preferences outside of the classroom. Just a few minutes of face-to-face time allow students to get irreplaceable insight into what it will take to succeed in their professor’s class.

Worried your thesis isn’t strong enough? Struggling with a tough concept in your coursework? Time spent in office hours will tell give you your answers.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="87ea3a64-d411-11e4-b850-87b4eaa41238"}}

As Scholnik said, attending office hours will have the most impact on your grades if you start sooner than later—but it’s not too late. If you’re concerned about your upcoming finals, shoot your professor an email and schedule a time to meet up and review recent material in person. Consider it your last chance to leave a good impression; it’ll show your instructors you’re engaging in the assigned texts and taking their class seriously.

And if you didn’t make use of office hours this semester, be sure to schedule a few meetings with your professors next year. No one wants to be the “Professor’s Pet” but simply making time to attend office hours and getting to know your professors is invaluable.   

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu.