Jessica Ensley - Columnist

Ohio University student activism has helped the campus change, but more is needed

Lean In Further: The effort of some students on campus has brought about change at the university. 

This past year has been incredibly successful in terms of student activism and awareness on campus. From the formation of the New BLAC to the expansion of already existing groups like F--kRapeCulture and the Feminist Equality Movement, I have seen the impact that comes with demanding justice. But we are still very far from where we should be.

Rape culture is still incredibly prevalent on this campus. Many people feel threatened by women and marginalized groups that speak up and fight back. Chalking on campus for International Anti-Street Harassment Week, People’s Justice League were writing things along the lines of “Catcalls aren’t compliments” and “My name is not ‘hey baby.’ ” A group of men walked by didn’t like what we were doing, whistled at us and said, “Hey baby” in defiance of us wanting to feel safe on campus.

The newly elected Student Senate ticket S.O.S ran on a platform of making a program that rewards students for attending events to educate people in prevention of violence against women. The same ticket, your new representatives for the next year, have members — or at least supporters — that regularly street harass women. The green house at the bottom of Jeff Hill had an S.O.S. banner hanging outside. The same house has been reported on the People’s Justice League website for harassing women.

The administration has still given no promise of funding the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program, on the program’s own terms, when its grant is up in October. OUSAP will, however, be moved to Lindley Hall after this semester and no longer be in the inadequate basement of the McKee House. The move was made after activists from F--kRapeCulture, the Student Union and myself demanded action.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2563c0ba-dd8d-11e4-9573-834578dbf5e7"}}

Activism, protesting and loudly demanding change works. The Bat Rally, which had hundreds of participants, forced the administration into a corner they could not get out of. They are no longer purchasing the $1.2 million home for President Roderick McDavis (yet).

When I started this column at the beginning of my senior year, I had no idea how many people would read it or what impact I would make. I’ve learned that our voice, even if it’s one person’s, can make a difference. But you make even more of a difference when you come together in numbers. Rape culture is real. Police brutality is real. Poverty caused by higher tuition is real. But what are we going to do about it?

Fellow students and comrades: Continue to demand change. Raise your voices, write a column, go to protests, get angry, start a conversation. There’s a saying I’ve found true throughout my time as a student activist. Once you learn of injustices, you have two options: You can ignore it and be part of the problem, or you can speak out and do something. Which one of these types of people do you want to be?

Jessica Ensley is a senior studying journalism and an active member of F--kRapeCulture. Email her at je726810@ohio.edu.