Student Senate President Megan Marzec states that she “ran on a platform of not representing students, denying this ideal that any one person can represent the thoughts and political views of all people.” 

Senate to meet in midst of campaigns

Student Senate will hold the last meeting of the year before senators for the 2015-2016 year are inducted.

In the midst of campaigning for Student Senate elections, the general body will meet Wednesday for the last time before the 2015-16 senators are announced.

Student Senate has no resolutions on its agenda, but Student Senate Vice President Caitlyn McDaniel said this isn’t surprising, considering the majority of the body is running on tickets that have spent the past two weeks actively campaigning.

“I think we’re in a tough situation right now because of the campaigning and the elections where anything that’s brought up in senate could potentially go one way or the other for any ticket,” McDaniel said. “I think everyone is trying to strike this balance between being really careful (about) what you say, how you’re behaving, and also still trying to get stuff done.”

After leading a Student Senate that faced controversy on several occasions, McDaniel had some advice for senate candidates.

“You have to be able to negotiate conflict, and as a student leader or leader of anything, you have to know when to speak up and when to listen,” she said. “It’s not easy to be at the center of controversy. It’s not easy to be in the spotlight, but somebody has to do it, and if you’re doing it for the right reasons it will really pay off.”

Student Senate elections will be held simultaneously with student trustee elections April 14 through 16.

The final senate general body meeting on April 22 will focus on a ceremony to swear in the 2015-16 senators.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu