Baseball: Ohio loses to Dayton in home finale

The Bobcats struggled to produce offense against the Flyers in their final contest at Bob Wren Stadium.

Ohio certainly didn’t look like a team that was near the top of the Mid-American Conference on Tuesday night. 

In their final regular season game at Bob Wren Stadium, the Bobcats (27-18) lost to the struggling Dayton Flyers (14-32).

After taking a 1-0 lead in the first inning, the Bobcats faced a large deficit in the middle innings as reliever Logan Jacik allowed one run in the 3rd and three runs in the 4th.

Dayton’s Alex Harris scored on a throwing error by Ohio catcher Kyle Dean to make the lead 4-1.

Dean redeemed himself in the next inning, hitting an RBI double down the leftfield line to score John Adryan, cutting the Flyers lead in half.

Dayton got that run back in the 7th inning, as a wild pitch from Corey Wells scored Matt Poland, bumping the lead to 5-2.

Ohio had the chance to do some major damage in the 7th inning, but only came away with one run. With the bases loaded and no outs, pinch hitter Nate Squires hit an RBI single to right to score Tyler Wells. Dayton then brought in relief pitcher Sam Brunner, who promptly retired the next three Bobcats to end the inning.

Brunner then continued on to a dominant relief outing, finishing the rest of the game, while allowing just one hit.

Ohio will look to finish out their schedule strong as they go on the road for the final six games against Mid-American Conference opponents Eastern Michigan and Miami.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu