Spencer Sapp, left-handed pitcher and a senior in 2015, takes the mound against Eastern Kentucky last season.

Five-run third inning sinks Bobcats

Ohio gives up five runs with two outs in the third en route to an 11-2 loss against Toledo

Entering its final home series of the 2015 season, Ohio was the team to beat in the Mid-American Conference’s east division.

After a blowout loss Friday night at the hands of Toledo, the Bobcats’ time at the top of the standings may be very short lived.

Ohio gave up five runs in the third inning to Toledo and never recovered, ultimately falling 11-2 Friday night at Bob Wren Stadium in the first of three games between the teams. Junior righty Jake Miller took the loss for Ohio (26-16, 11-8 MAC).

The Bobcats struck first in the second inning on an RBI-groundout by senior outfielder Tyler Wells to score redshirt junior catcher Cody Gaertner. Gaertner, who reached safely on a fielding error to lead off the inning, advanced to second on a wild pitch and to third on a groundout by junior third baseman John Adryan before Wells brought him in.

Ohio’s 1-0 lead, however, didn’t last long. Miller, the Bobcat starter who retired seven of the first eight batters he faced, fell apart in the third inning.

A walk and two hit batsmen surrendered by Miller loaded the bases for the Rockets with two outs. Toledo (19-26, 11-8 MAC) then strung together four consecutive singles to bring across five runs.

Miller, who entered the game with a 2.76 ERA, finished his night having given up five earned runs on five hits, a walk and two hit-by-pitches in three innings of work.

Wells scored Ohio’s only other run on a wild pitch in the seventh inning. The Bobcats had three walks but just five hits against Toledo’s starter, Cameron Palmer, who went eight innings and earned the win.

Ohio still remains atop the MAC East standings with an 11-8 conference record after Kent State (24-20, 11-9 MAC) dropped its Friday game against Buffalo, 9-3.

The Bobcats, who had their four-game winning streak snapped Friday, will look to get back on track against Toledo in Saturday night’s game at 7 p.m. On the mound for the Bobcats will be junior right-hander Connor Sitz (5-1, 4.53 ERA).

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu