Charlie Hatch

Concert Review: The Rolling Stones rock Ohio Stadium

The Rolling Stones conquer “The Shoe,” joined by OU Singers.

For the last three hours, I’ve sat here wondering what to say or how to review the concert, but I give up. It’s no use.

No words, no matter how illustrative or vivid, can describe The Rolling Stones’ tour-de-force at Ohio Stadium Saturday night.

It was more than rock ‘n’ roll. It wasn’t a farewell tour or a final goodbye. It was a friendly “hello.” It was an invitation to witness history with rock ‘n’ roll’s greatest band.

It was two hours and 15 minutes of hard driving blues that rattled bones and cleansed souls.

It was a dream come true.

See, The Rolling Stones and I have a tough relationship.

Sometimes they make me hurt. Sometimes they make me laugh. But they’re always there for me.

From the long drives to the lonely nights in the dorm room, The Rolling Stones are there.

Only this time, it was “our” time to spend together — to romp with glee.

When Keith Richards strutted before the 65,000-person crowd with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” it made music sound new again. It didn’t sound like the first single my dad got as a kid. It was rudimentary, yet fresh.

Two songs later, “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” was a cheerful but painful cry from Mick Jagger to join him on another adventure with rock’s most noted front man.  

“Tumbling Dice,” was served with a bottle of Jack and a groove so loose, it was only seconds before Mick’s skeleton-tight black pants would slide down as he bellowed out, “Women think I'm tasty/ But they're always tryin' to waste me/ And make me burn the candle right down.”

Later on The Stones tamed Ohio Stadium with “Wild Horses,” an acoustic ballad that echoed in the state’s largest venue (as well as provided relief for the ever aging band members).

The next song, by crowd request, was The McCoys’ “Hang on Sloopy.” Still known as an Ohio State favorite, but originally it was part of many Rolling Stones setlists in the early years. It was the first time (and probably last) time they’ve played it since 1966.

“Honky Tonk Woman” was a hoedown brought to life from the magical fingers of guest keyboardist Chuck Leavell

Following band introductions, it was Richards all alone at center stage. He stood speechless as he looked into the crowd and sang “Before They Make Me Run.”

It was a bashful moment. He didn’t know what to say, but it didn’t matter. The point was that he was still alive! Perhaps he made it fitting when he sang, “Gonna find my way to heaven/'Cause I did my time in hell.”

At this point the show was full throttle, churning out hits at breakneck pace. “Happy,” “Midnight Rambler,” “Miss You,” “Gimme Shelter,” and “Start Me Up” played out, filling a quick portion a concert many bands would feel privileged to even file in their catalogue.

“Sympathy for the Devil,” a song notorious for starting riots, offered salvation. As red lights and smoke filled the stadium, there stood Jagger draped in a red cape, delivering us from evil. 

“Brown Sugar” was the last song before the encore, before arguably the biggest moment in Ohio University’s musical history. (Okay, that’s a stretch, but go along with it for now.)

The OU Singers led The Rolling Stones in “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” It was a beautiful rendition turned funk-house jam, ending with Jagger telling the members of the OU choir to take a bow as he acknowledged their excellence. At Ohio State’s football stadium. With a roaring crowd. 

“(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was the finale. By now, the whole place was engulfed in the frenzy with fireworks shooting out into the muggy Columbus sky.

When they finally said that final goodbye, it was a sendoff fitting for the band of all bands. They’ve spent over 50 years conquering the world’s music scene, offering up sounds previously unheard of.

It was a night when nothing else mattered.

The dice tumbled, the midnight rambler rambled and The Rolling Stones gave me satisfaction. It was more than rock ‘n’ roll. And Saturday night they were there for me.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu