Ohio University's Antonio Campbell jumps to block a shot by Bowling Green's Anthony Henderson during a men's basketball game in the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on February 24, 2015. The Bobcat's lost their last regular season game at home 76 to 65. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Ohio athletes to watch in the upcoming season

With Ohio athletics starting up, The Post sports staff selects which players fans should look out for the upcoming year.

Luke O’Roark | Sports Editor

Athlete to watch: Antonio Campbell, junior men's basketball forward

His nickname is “Big Tone” because of his 6-foot-8, 260 pound figure, but his play on the court is even bigger. As a four/five on the floor, Campbell averaged 10 points and about eight rebounds per game last season for Ohio coach Saul Phillips. With Maurice Ndour graduating, it’s Campbell’s turn to anchor the Bobcats inside the paint this season. Look for him to have a big year.

@Lukeoroark

Charlie Hatch | Sports Editor

Athlete to watch: Kelly Karlis, sophomore women's basketball forward

Karlis is in a tricky situation.

For starters, next season will be intriguing because the forward from Medinah, Illinois returns from a foot injury that kept her sidelined for most of Ohio’s historic 2014-15 season.

When healthy, Karlis played eight games for the Bobcats, averaging close to seven points and three rebounds per game as the lone freshman.

At 6-foot-2, Karlis adds height to a team that’s relatively short, which makes her recovery crucial.

Perhaps more importantly for her, Karlis will have to compete with the five incoming freshman for playing time.

In an April interview, coach Bob Boldon said he’ll have 15 players on his roster for the first time since he arrived in Athens. He also said everyone won’t play.

Some games he might play seven players, sometimes eight.

If Karlis has a successful recovery and offseason, one of those spots won’t be vacant, but it’ll be available.

@Charliehatch_

Tony Wolfe | Staff Writer

Athlete to watch: Mitch Longo, junior baseball outfielder

Longo was just about the only bright spot on Ohio’s roster during its 11-40 2014 season, as the Mayfield, Ohio native threw together a .346/.416/.474 line in his freshman year. Improving on a season like that wasn’t going to be an easy task, but Longo again rose to the challenge his sophomore year, posting a .376 batting average and more than doubling his home runs and runs batted in numbers. Expect major league clubs to start paying close attention to Longo, whose abilities as a four or five tool player might be only just beginning to shine through.

@_TonyWolfe_

Wynston Wilcox | For The Post

Athlete to watch: Megan Niebuhr, sophomore soccer forward

Niebuhr came in as a substitution when captain and graduating senior Gabby Hausfeld was injured against Ball State University last October.

She scored that match and went on to keep Hausfeld’s spot the rest of the season, as the defender from Cincinnati went on to score two goals in three games. She would finish the season tied for third-place in goals scored.

Next year, I believe she has what it takes to remain a starter and attempt to fill the gap the Bobcats will be missing from Hausfeld.

@wynstonw_

Jordan Horrobin | For The Post

Athlete to watch: Michael Harris, senior hockey forward

Harris, last year's Most Valuable Player in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League, will look to build on his team-best 21 goals and 36 points in 32 games last season. He’s physically dominant on the ice and has a powerful, accurate slapshot and should be one of the Bobcats’ best offensive players. He was voted by his teammates as captain for the 2015-16 season.

@JordanHorrobin