Ohio University forward, Alexis Milesky, runs towards the ball while guarded by Kent State University midfielder Mackenzie Lesnick. The Golden Flashes defeated the Bobcats 3-2 in overtime, Thursday, October 30, 2014. 

Soccer adds new goalkeeper for 2015 season

Vanessa Cordoba was recently recruited to the Bobcats after playing at New York Institute of Technology.

Vanessa Cordoba will be joining Ohio soccer next season, coach Aaron Rodgers announced on Twitter Thursday.

Cordoba, who stands at 5-foot-11, is a Bogota, Colombia native who was previously the goalkeeper at the New York Institute of Technology. At the school, she played in 14 games for the Bears, starting nine and posting a 87.1 save percentage and 1.11 goals against average.

The Bears went 4-2-4 with Cordoba in the net and 0-1-6 without her. Goalkeeping is an area the Bobcats will potentially need to bolster since Nicole Amari and Rachel Fryan graduated.

Cordoba will now compete with incoming freshmen Erin Beurket and Taylor Smith for time in the net. 

Rodgers — a former goalkeeper himself who previously played in the United Soccer League for the Texas Toros, Dallas Rockets and Mobile Revelers — knows quite a bit about mentoring goalkeepers. And he could have found a potential starter in Cordoba, who helped the Colombian national team to the Juegos Bolivarianos’ gold medal in 2013.

Ohio opens its preseason schedule against Wright State on Aug. 11 at Chessa Field and begins regular season play at Purdue on Aug. 21.

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu