Sunpower

Athens tech company receives recognition in U.S. Senate bill

Sunpower, Inc., an Athens-based company, was noted as being at the forefront of deep-space explorations technologies.

An Athens-based technology company got a nod from Capitol Hill this week in a bill promoting deep-space exploration technologies.

U.S. Senators Sherrod Brown, D-OH, and Rob Portman, R-OH, introduced the Efficient Space Exploration Act on Wednesday, which intends to encourage research into “advanced radioisotopic systems,” according to a news release.

In introducing the bill, Brown noted that Sunpower, Inc. on East State Street, was among the companies “at the forefront of developing the technology that will allow America to achieve deep space exploration."

Brown also mentioned NASA Glenn, a Cincinnati-based company.

"Their innovation and contribution to NASA and our country deserves our support,” he said in the release. “This bill will lay the groundwork for continued investment in the advanced technologies that will lead to deep space exploration."

The technology employed by Sunpower, Inc. is called Advanced Stirling Conversion and is four times more efficient than the technologies being used in deep space exploration, according to the release.

The bill, if passed, would require NASA to compile a report on the risks of delaying the development of advanced radioisotopic technology.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="de358bc4-30c0-11e5-aa85-63b267a289cc"}}

The bill also outlines NASA’s plans to encourage infrastructure and workforce in the industries that develop the technology.

It does not, in itself, provide any money for the technologies.

The full text of the bill isn't available yet. After being introduced, it was referred to the Senate’s Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.

"Sunpower is grateful to Senators Portman and Brown for their efforts in helping our company continue its relationship with NASA by providing efficient, Ohio-made, Stirling power solutions for space systems," said Jeffrey Hatfield, vice president and Sunpower site manager in the news release. "Their assistance is aiding Sunpower in securing good jobs for Southeastern Ohio and in the continuity of an enabling technology for space exploration."

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu