One Ohio University student left in local political races, down from three

C.J. Fogarty, OU student and Republican contender for Athens City Council withdrew his candidacy earlier this month, leaving Dauterman as the only student up for local election.

Although this year’s campaign season started off with three Ohio University students in the running for local offices, only one student remains.

C.J. Fogarty, a junior studying history and a Republican, at-large Athens City Council candidate, dropped out of the race earlier this month, according to the Athens County Board of Elections.

Fogarty announced his candidacy in late January and aimed to improve city roads, relax parking regulations to ease ticket burdens on students and provide a different perspective on legislative decisions, according to a previous Post report.

Fogarty is out of the country and couldn’t be reached by phone.

“My commitments for the near future appear to be so great that I wouldn't be able to run a very strong campaign,” he said in a message to the Post. “I figure it would be unfair to ask support from the people of Athens when I am not able to coordinate a successful, good campaign.”

Aaron Dauterman, a senior studying communication studies, is also running for an at-large seat as a Republican.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b4f920fa-29cb-11e5-8dba-07f62396f248"}}

Dauterman said he knew Fogarty was going to drop out of the race shortly before he officially withdrew.

“He actually had come to me and he more or less explained that he was wanting to prioritize his education (over the election),” he said. “At this time he just said that he wanted to pursue his education first and focus on public office later on.”

Fogarty is not the first student to withdraw from a city election this summer.

Last month, Andrew Looker, a senior studying communication studies, withdrew his candidacy for Athens City Mayor, leaving incumbent councilman Steve Patterson, D-At Large, uncontested in the race.

Dauterman said Fogarty’s decision made sense, but that his own campaign is still going strong.

“All I can say is that we’re going to see our election through all the way to November,” Dauterman said.

Dauterman, who has been in Athens during the summer semester, has already been going door-to-door meeting with residents and discussing issues that concern them. He said those meetings have been promising so far.

“What we’re doing is just going door-to-door getting my face out there and getting some exposure,” he said.

Dauterman also said his campaign is working on scheduling a meeting with local small business owners and the chamber of commerce.

Pete Couladis, chair of the Athens County Republican Party, said he was confident in Dauterman’s campaign.

“He’s working. He’s got yard signs; he’s raising money,” he said. “I think he’s going to be a strong candidate. If people want questions to be asked they need somebody who’s willing to ask them.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="06b5a9b0-2a5b-11e5-958b-17ca419c32cb"}}

Couladis also said that he hadn’t noticed very much advancement in Fogarty’s campaign prior to his withdrawal.

“He’s busy,” Couladis said. “He doesn’t have the time for the campaign. ... It takes a lot of work, especially if you’re a republican in this town.”

Dauterman, in addition to being the only student candidate, is now the only Republican candidate up for local election.

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-At Large, who is running to keep her seat, said she has not heard about Fogarty’s withdrawal from the race.

“It’s bittersweet, I suppose, because, sure, it does make it easier for the remaining candidates, but it’s good for voters to have options,” she said. ”I’m sad to see him drop out and would have looked forward to running against him.”

Dauterman will be running against Cochran, Peter Kotses and Joan Kraynanski in the November election. The top three vote-gatherers will be elected to council.

“I wish good luck to all the other candidates and may the most qualified person win,” Fogarty said in his written statement.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu