After much of the flames died down, much of the foam and water used by the firefighters flooded the streets and sewers on West Union Street. 

$30 million Athens County sewer project to be in the works

Athens County Commissioners decide whether or not to begin a $30 million county wide sewer project.

A $30 million county-wide sewer project may soon be in the works after the Tuesday morning Athens County Commissioners meeting.

At the meeting, commissioners will discuss and decide whether or not to start on the project, which is currently in its design phase, Chris Chmiel, one of three Athens County Commissioners, said.

The sewer would run through U.S. Route 50 to the end of the county’s line, near Albany, and back toward Athens along U.S. Route 56, County Commissioner Charles Adkins said.

The commissioners will meet with HDR Inc., an architectural, engineering and consulting firm based in Omaha, Nebraska, to make a joint decision. HDR designed the project and has worked with the commissioners for a couple months, Adkins said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1dcd9cca-4b5d-11e5-b72f-2f411c5e4122"}}

Ted Linscott, a representative from Affiliated Construction Trades Ohio, will also be at Tuesday's meeting. ACTOhio provides the state’s construction industry with important information that enables the best practices in construction across Ohio, according to its Facebook page.

Linscott will give a presentation to the commissioners about how ACTOhio can provide its services for the county through planning and constructing county buildings, Adkins said.

“Right now we are actually looking at a new possible EMS station,” Adkins added. “It definitely needs a lot of work, so that could be a possibility.”

Rick Callebs, chief of Athens County Emergency Medical Services, will also attend the meeting. He is seeking to add a new position to help make Athens County EMS more efficient.

“We will be discussing the possibility of hiring an additional position, a medical director,” Callebs said. “They would help with some of our training and reviewing of any medical issues we may have.”

Callebs also specified that they would be looking within the department to hire for the new position.

At last week's meeting, the county commissioners approved the use of $10,000 of county funds to go toward a joint safety services facility that has been discussed by the city and the county since July, Adkins said.

The commissioners voted 2-1 on the issue.

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu