Construction continues on the new South Green residence halls.

'All is to be complete' in new South Green dorms before OU move-in weekend

Construction wasn't limited to South Green this summer, though.

Athens and Ohio University was a construction site this summer as multiple projects came to a close for the start of Fall Semester.

One of these such projects was the construction of the new South Green residence halls.

Everything including furniture will be in place for residents to move into these halls when Move-In Weekend begins, said Interim Associate Vice President for Architecture, Design & Construction Richard Shultz.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f5120ec0-1c3a-11e5-9782-b3409c96e238"}}

“We’re on track to move in on time,” Shultz said. “All is to be complete when (students) move in.”

The four residence halls were recently named Carr Hall, Luchs Hall, Sowle Hall and Tanaka Hall.

Another construction project on campus involved work on the former Boyd Dining Hall. Newly named the West Green Market District, it will also be open when students move in for the new semester.

Assistant Director for Auxiliaries, Sales and Marketing Dan Pittman said the theme will be “micro-restaurants” for the dining hall and will include features such as a smoothie bar and a “veggie butcher station.”

In addition to campus construction, the city of Athens has continued construction on Richland Avenue for a $4.8 million infrastructure upgrade.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="24c16908-d416-11e4-8c51-772630a17fc3"}}

According to a previous Post report, the project is focused on improving the quality of the street between Dairy Lane and Canterbury Drive, both aesthetically and infrastructurally. Shelly & Sands, Inc., a Zanesville-based asphalt company, has been in charge of the project. Athens City Councilwoman Michele Papai said the project is progressing well despite this summer’s weather problems.

“Shelly & Sands is making good progress now,” Papai said in an email. “The rainy summer has impacted the project, and the storm line is expected to be completed this week, then compaction and sidewalk installation. The city is anticipating that the roadway will be paved prior to the end of August.”

Along with the Richland Avenue project, the city is beginning to take bids to make repairs to the city parking garage on East Washington Street, after which it will have a better understanding on the total cost of renovations.

“Estimates for work is $2 million, which includes concrete repair and an ADA upgraded accessible elevator,” Papai said.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu