Bobcat Lane, which has been closed in its construction in 2008, is a topic of discussion between the City of Athens and Ohio University Student Senate. The lane, which Student Senate wishes to open, would connect Richland Avenue to Baker University Center’s Oxbow Trail. (Dustin Lennert | FILE)

Bobcat Lane officially open next to OU's Baker Center

After years of debating and planning, a road that now connects Oxbow Trail to Richland Avenue opened Tuesday

After months of construction, Bobcat Lane was officially opened for traffic on Tuesday morning. The occasion was marked with a ribbon-cutting ceremony, at which President Roderick McDavis and Mayor Paul Wiehl both gave remarks.

“This has been a couple years in the making,” Wiehl said. “I think really the tipping point for me was the relocation of the GoBus (to Baker Center). It’s been a success.”

Wiehl said the construction of Bobcat Lane has opened communication between the university and the city, making them work together as a community.

“I look forward to a new year and a new pathway,” he said.

The path, which connects Oxbow Trail to Richland Avenue, has been debated for years and sent to City Council and the Ohio University Board of Trustees for approval. McDavis acknowledged the struggle that Bobcat Lane has faced and the disagreements he has had with Wiehl.

“It’s not a secret that the mayor and I disagreed on the opening of Bobcat Lane a few years ago, but I want to publicly commend the mayor for reconsidering the opening,” McDavis said. “We would not be here today if the mayor had not given this a second look and said ‘Let’s try it.’”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b6ddb0f6-2cb1-11e4-979d-001a4bcf6878"}}

The university expects improved public transit to and from Baker Center, faster response time to Baker Center for emergency vehicles, and improved visitor access to campus, McDavis said. He thanked Joe Lalley, senior associate vice president for IT and administrative services, Stephen Golding, vice president for finance and administration, university leadership and members of Athens City Council for assisting with the project.

“The project was well-planned between the university and the city,” Golding said.

Landscape improvements along Bobcat Lane and Oxbow Trail will be completed in late September, McDavis said.

McDavis said OU and city leadership have a responsibility to make Bobcat Lane work and keep it safe for students, community members and visitors.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="87f4132a-7045-11e4-b21c-575c03ddd41f"}}

“This connection between OU and the city of Athens cannot be broken," McDavis said. "We have a great relationship, we’re going to continue to work hard on behalf of the students, faculty and staff at the university and the citizens of Athens. We have a great community. This is one more asset that will make our community greater.”

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu