Boyd Dining Hall in the middle of renovations, and the Hungry Cat food truck, Sunday, Feb. 1, 2015. 

Boyd to open with healthy options, new app for dining halls

Formerly Boyd Dining Hall, West Green Market District will feature “micro-restaurants” and a smoothie bar

After a summer of construction, the new-and-improved West Green Market District will be open for business at the start of Fall Semester.

Formerly known as Boyd Dining Hall, the eatery will host a “dedicated Veggie Butcher station and a health-focused smoothie bar.” The overall theme for the hall will be “micro-restaurants,” said Dan Pittman, assistant director for Auxiliaries, Sales and Marketing in an email.

“Students and guests can enjoy a variety of fresh, healthy foods within multiple environments that offer a different ambiance with each visit,” Pittman said.

Some students may remember the dense crowds that flooded Nelson Court upon its grand opening in 2012. Pittman said he knows inconvenient crowds are a possibility, but culinary staff is working hard to prepare themselves for periods of high traffic during the first few weeks of its opening. All student employees have been offered the option to move into their residence halls early so they can have time to receive appropriate training in advance, expediting the training process, Pittman said.

In addition, an app called “OHIO Culinary Services” has been developed for iOS and Android devices. It includes real-time hours of operation, locations with GPS navigation, venue descriptions, coupons, specials and meal plan information.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="05166a34-452e-11e5-85f8-5fc74a4d270d"}}

As for the Hungry Cat, the food truck stationed on West Green during the renovations, the future is not yet clear.

Culinary Services, Student Affairs and Student Senate are conducting a campus-wide survey about The Hungry Cat, Pittman said.

Student Senate President Gabrielle Bacha said she was approached by Culinary Services earlier this summer about a potential new location for the Hungry Cat.

“Not knowing exactly what students wanted, we sat down and had a conversation about the best way to engage students about this topic,” Bacha said in an email. “(The survey) gauges whether or not the student has eaten at the Hungry Cat and what their favorite selections were. It also asks about times they would like to see the Hungry Cat run.”

The survey was emailed to all OU students and is now closed after several weeks of collecting results.

West Green Market District is the result of partnerships with Ohio University Design & Construction, the Culinary Services Development Committee, project architects and food service consultants, Pittman said. Additional details, including venue photos and menu offerings, are constantly updated on Ohio University’s culinary services website.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu