Global Warnings: Take a hike and explore more than Court Street

Ohio University is about much more than its party school reputation. Check out some of the local scenic activities.

Saving the Earth isn’t sexy. A general perception of the environmental “Go Green!” movement is that it’s vaguely hipster, kind of pretentious and, at its worst, just plain boring.

It’s understandable why we don’t go wild about conservation and preservation. A lot of us just don’t feel a particularly strong connection to the natural world. We aren’t the outdoorsy type, we prioritize our heating and A/C, and we can’t tell one type of tree from the other.

The thing is, you don’t have to be a naturalist to appreciate the environment we live in. While mainstream news outlets may preach vague scientific facts, the real backdrop of the movement is here at home.

For example, almost every other freshman I talk to on campus mentions how pretty Ohio University is. It’s a rural paradise that anyone can see the beauty and unique quality, even if the near-vertical walks to class are a nightmare for your calves.

While many of us were born and raised in Ohio, Athens is an entirely new experience. With its hills and Appalachian features, living here is like thriving in a treasure chest of diverse geographical features.

There are numerous areas for hiking and walking. The Ridges is notorious, but the bike path will take any casual explorer on a road to parks and hills galore. Not to mention Walmart, if you’re into that. There are areas for fishing and camping all around the county. And the Hocking River is the ribbon wrapped around the gift of Athens County.

So why not go out and enjoy it?

It’s easy to become trapped in a cycle of studying, going to class, eating and sleeping, or partying, hitting up Court Street, occasionally attending class and sleeping. But regardless of their schedule, every student should utilize the natural opportunities that abound on this campus at least once a season.

You may not be super into intensive hiking or roughing it outdoors, but have you truly lived in a place if you haven’t taken the time to explore it? Yes, we have great bars, restaurants and Mill Street, but we also have Strouds Run State Park and hills with actual views.  

Once you do experience the flora and fauna of Athens firsthand, you’ll start to feel that tie to your own personal environment. Once you find something to be proud of, you want to treat it with respect and encourage others to do the same. And if you can be proud of your Bobcat heritage, you can definitely be proud of the ground all Bobcats walk on and the air we all breathe.

There are lots of ways to support your Athens community and the world at large. It doesn’t have to be painful, frustrating or even difficult. We have a thriving environmental justice scene right on campus to get involved in, plus tons of opportunities to support local, green businesses. And of course, you can always recycle. After all, we bleed white … and green.

Kat Tenbarge is a freshman majoring in journalism and environmental studies. What environmental issues do you think demand attention? Email her at kt154714@ohio.edu or tweet her @katsappho.