Boyd Dining Hall 

OU students see improvements in West Green Market District

Those who remember the Boyd Dining Hall of previous years appreciate updates to West Green Market District

The Boyd Dining Hall upperclassmen knew — and sometimes loved — is gone for good.

Its renovated fraternal twin, West Green Market District, opened for business at the start of the semester.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="05166a34-452e-11e5-85f8-5fc74a4d270d"}}

From Sunday to Wednesday, 10,645 meal swipes have been received at the West Green Market District, said Mark Brunton, a spokesman from the Culinary department.

“This is a 47 percent increase when compared to the same days at Boyd Dining Hall last year,” Brunton said in an email.

Some sophomores who remember the cafeteria-style layout of last year’s Boyd see improvements.

“It was awful (last year),” Sam Bruggemann, a sophomore studying sports management, said. “It definitely looks a lot better and it looks like they have more options.”

The dining hall has six stations to choose from — Carver’s Cut, Between the Bread, Destinations, Noodled, Margaret’s and West Greens.

Carver’s Cut focuses on low-fat meats, choosing to bake and roast them instead of frying, and Between the Bread serves sandwiches that students customize and order on an electronic kiosk. Destinations features international flavors including pita bread, custom fillings and four different kinds of hummus. Noodled brings back the wok station that Boyd featured previously, in addition to classic pastas and sauces similar to those found at Shively or Nelson dining halls. Margaret’s caters to students with special diet needs and are prepared, allergy-free, in front of each student, and West Greens is the salad bar, including two house soups and a pre-made salad of the day option.

Amid some rave reviews, there are still critics.

“It looks good, but I’d rather have a buffet style,” •MaryJess Daugherty, a freshman studying exercise physiology, said.

“I’d like some more options,” Kailey Beard, a freshman studying exercise physiology, said.

In addition to the changes to the dining hall itself, a new marketplace is included in West Green Market District. The market, which is located in the space where Boyd Grab n’ Go used to be, includes Smooth Moves, a smoothie bar, and Veggie Butcher — where students can have fresh produce cleaned and prepared to their liking.

Tori Ullmann, a sophomore studying strategic communication, said she definitely sees an improvement in the selection West Green Market District has to choose from.

“That was the biggest reason I never came to Boyd before — I always knew what was here,” Ullmann said. “Now I have a reason to walk here from South Green.”

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu