Police Blotter

Student found passed out in bushes Monday morning covered in bugs

A stolen pitbull puppy, an unconscious male laying on top of a Redd’s Apple Ale, and a marijuana and “dabs” operation plagued OU’s 2015 Welcome Week.

Ohio University’s 2015 opening week welcomed new and returning Bobcats as well as underage alcohol consumption, drug possession and theft charges.

Early Monday morning, Ohio University Police Department officers found an unconscious male in the bushes outside of Grover Center. The individual was in the bushes with an empty Redd’s Apple Ale bottle and multiple insects crawling all over his body, according to an OUPD report.

Officers woke up the man, prompting them to notice his bloodshot, watery eyes and unsteadiness on his feet. The male was subsequently transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail for underage consumption of alcohol.

During the past week OUPD reported 10 underage alcohol consumption incidents.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a964026e-e867-11e4-9009-53035ce9fe7d"}}

Another alcohol related incident occurred on Saturday around 12 a.m. An unresponsive male was found in the second floor men’s restroom in Truedley Hall. It was observed that the individual had a strong odor of alcohol on or about his person, the report stated.

Officers also noticed the man had urinated in his pants and was unsteady on his feet. It was also reported that the male was emotional and alternated between crying and begging the officer not to tell his parents.

Athens County Emergency Medical Services was requested to evaluate the underage individual. It was decided that the man needed to be sent to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital for treatment. He was also issued a state citation for disorderly conduct and public intoxication, according to the report.

OUPD also filed 10 drug-related reports during the past week, nine of which involved marijuana, and one involving what was suspected to be ecstasy.

Along with the usual party antics, OUPD received an unusual call from a student in the department’s own building.

At around 6 p.m., officers found that a female had fallen out of her bunk bed.

The fall resulted in a laceration on the bridge of her nose and bump on her forehead. She reported that she was in her lofted bed, leaned against the railing and instantly fell, according to the OUPD report.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7aac861e-ede7-11e4-adda-b72fe4b0db78"}}

She met with ACEMS but denied any treatment.

During the past week Athens County Sheriff’s Office also filed nine theft reports.

One of those reports came in early Sunday morning regarding an eight-month-old pitbull being stolen from the owner’s front yard.

According to the report, the dog was last seen around midnight when the owner went outside to figure out why the dog was barking. The dog is a blue pitbull with white paws and a white chest. The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.

This weekend also saw the Athens County Major Crimes Unit uncovering an indoor marijuana grow and butane honey oil, commonly referred to as “dabs,” manufacturing operation.

Officers entered the residence located at 799 Old State Route 33 in Shade, Ohio on Friday and found 88 cultivated marijuana plants, equipment for several marijuana grow rooms and dried marijuana ready for sale. Officers also found cash in the amount of $7,991 and the equipment to manufacture butane honey oil, according to the report.

The resident, Kevin B. Smith, 34, was arrested and booked into the SEORJ on a charge of illegal manufacturing a Schedule I controlled substance, a second degree felony.

The investigation into the operation is still ongoing and could lead to additional charges, as stated in the Athens County Sheriff’s Office report. 

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu