Ohio and Miami face off during the game at Yager Stadium in Oxford. Ohio defeated Miami 34-13 on Oct. 23 and will play the RedHawks at the annual Battle of the Bricks this weekend. (Maddie Meyer | File)

Football Notebook: Bobcats invite former walk-on back on roster

Ohio adds former walk-on back onto team.

Ohio’s search for consistency from its tight ends has largely been concealed behind the position battles at quarterback and running back.

While coach Frank Solich has said both Derrius Vick and J.D. Sprague will play as quarterback, and Ohio will use at least a three-man rotation in the running game, the team still hasn’t sorted out its depth at the tight end spot.

The situation sprung up in fall camp when junior Troy Mangen had a season-ending knee injury. Entering 2015, none of Ohio’s listed tight ends had ever made a reception for the program.

Keith Heitzman, a redshirt senior transfer from Michigan, started at tight end in Ohio’s 45-28 win in its season opener at Idaho. He had four receptions for 25 yards and a touchdown catch.

“I thought he had a really good football game for us,” coach Solich said at Monday’s press conference. “I was pleased with the game that he had in terms of receiving and blocking.

“As the game went on, he settled in and started playing at that level where he’s capable of playing at. I thought he had himself a very good football game and we are fortunate to have him in our system.”

Barring Heitzman, there’s not a cemented backup on the depth chart.

Malik Rodriguez, a redshirt junior, swapped positions in the offseason after lining up as a wide receiver in 2014. Cody Grilliot is another player who switched positions, adding depth at tight end. The redshirt sophomore was previously listed at linebacker. 

Another possibility is Mason Morgan, a redshirt sophomore, but he didn’t have any receptions in the first game against Idaho.

“We think that even though we lost such a quality player (Mangen) there, we will still be very good as we continue to go through the season,” Solich said. “Those players get plenty of reps and develop into the types of players at tight end we think they are going to be.”

However, Ohio might not be finished adding players.

A former walk-on was invited to rejoin the program after a meeting Tuesday morning.

Zach Hawk, a junior, walked onto the team in 2014 but was injured and never suited up for any games.

But after a meeting Tuesday morning with Chris Rodgers, Ohio’s director of football operations, Hawk was welcomed back and will receive equipment and go through acclimations before he joins the team.

"Acclimations" are individual practices to see if a player if healthy and fit enough to join the rest of the team. 

Ohio's home opener is Saturday night against Marshall in the "Battle for the Bell."

@Charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu