Herman Brunis of Ohio University attempts to avoid a tackle but is ultimately taken down in the game against Southeastern Louisiana at Peden Stadium. 

Football: Ohio beats Southeastern Louisiana behind performances from different faces

Despite beating Southern Louisiana, 35-14, Ohio's identity is still a work in progress.

After Saturday's 35-14 win over Southeastern Louisiana, Ohio coach Frank Solich said he couldn't put a label on the Bobcats. 

"I know what we’re capable of and we’re capable of being pretty good in all three areas: special teams, defense and offense," Solich said. "If we reach our potential in all three areas, we could be pretty good. I think we’re still trying to find our identity."

Solich is right: After three weeks of play, a different Bobcat stands out each game. 

After bruising past Marshall for 82 yards and a touchdown, Ohio running back A.J. Ouellette was stuffed often at the line on Saturday. He finished with just 22 yards on the ground. 

Despite Ouellette's struggle, redshirt freshman Papi White — who had just 17 yards rushing against the Herd — took a handoff from quarterback Derrius Vick and scampered 58 yards up the right sideline. 

Even Vick, who played almost the entirety of Saturday's win, threw for a career-high 327 yards against the Lions prior to passing for just 29 yards in week two, before he left the game injured. 

"We have a lot self-inflicted personal things that held us back," Vick said. "Too many times we had second and 20 or third and 15, and that’s hard to overcome for any team, no matter who you’re playing. … Sometimes it’s hard to get into a rhythm."

A part of the struggle in identifying the Bobcats stems from their ability to adapt to different players in their system. 

White has been a versatile playmaker for the Bobcats, sometimes lining up in the slot receiver position or returning punts. 

Safety Toran Davis had five tackles and a critical forced fumble caused when the Lions were on the Bobcats' goal line. Yet, going into Saturday, Davis only had three tackles in two games. 

"On defense, it is a complete team effort," Davis said. "Our defense is real scrappy and has a sense of urgency. When someone is about to score on us, we take it personally." 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c381a266-5ff2-11e5-bef0-df0cbfefda2e"}}

Tight end Keith Heitzman, who caught six passes for 51 yards and a touchdown going into Saturday, provided some consistency missing from the Bobcats aerial attack.

The transfer from Michigan caught three balls for 73 yards, one of which was off a seam route where Heitzman was clobbered by a Lions defender over the middle. 

"It was definitely an adjustment with this fast paced, fast tempo," Heitzman said about adjusting to the offense. "Getting better conditioned and learning the plays helps a lot. It’s coming along." 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu