Senior defensive halfback Rick Hawkins upsets Marshall wide receiver Lanny Steed as Scott Robinson and Don Dempsey move in to help. Hawkins, who also returned four punts was playing his last game in a Bobcat uniform.

Football: Staff picks against Marshall

‘The Post’ sports staff attempts to predict the score of ‘The Battle for the Bell’.

Luke O’Roark (1-0) | Sports Editor

Marshall 35, Ohio 24

History isn’t on Ohio’s side Saturday, but I think this matchup will be closer than some expect. The two teams are different from last year. Marshall isn’t as good and Ohio isn’t as bad. Also, hopefully fans stay after halftime.

Charlie Hatch (1-0) | Sports Editor

Marshall 34, Ohio 21

I think the people who claim Marshall isn’t as good as it used to be a year ago are missing the point. The Herd are good, and so are their fans. This is my PSA to get all the ‘Cats out there to stick around for all four quarters. This is Ohio’s lone Saturday night game. Get agitated and hopefully my prediction is wrong.

Tony Wolfe (1-0) | Senior Writer

Ohio 24, Marshall 21

Boy, would this be something. But again, I'm choosing to be optimistic in Ohio until it proves me wrong, which it did not do last week. Marshall isn't the beast it was a year ago, and Ohio will be well-rested going into its home-opener. The two teams battle close throughout, defense forces a key turnover late and Josiah nails a field goal as time expires.

Jordan Horrobin (1-0) | Staff Writer

Ohio 30, Marshall 28

Marshall embarrassed Ohio last season, — to the tune of a 44-14 drubbing — but don’t expect the same result this time around. Without last year’s starting running back and quarterback, who combined to torch the Bobcats for almost 550 yards and four touchdowns, the Thundering Herd are less potent on the offensive side of the ball. Also, Marshall trailed a lackluster Purdue squad until the 2:50-mark of the fourth quarter last week.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4c1b221a-5809-11e5-800e-cf4127a2e112"}}

Wynston Wilcox (1-0) | Staff Writer

Marshall 27, Ohio 20

I watched Marshall play against Purdue on Sunday and to my surprise, it looked a lot better than I thought without Rakeem Cato. This one will be close. Ohio showed it can score and Marshall showed it can work without one of its best players. Should be a good game.