Ohio junior wide receiver Sebastian Smith hauls in a one-handed grab for a touchdown in the first half during Ohio's 21-10 win against rivals Marshall at Peden Stadium.

Football: Undefeated Bobcats to host FCS Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday

Quarterback Derrius Vick remains active entering week three after exiting Marshall game with injury.

It might be easier for Ohio to underestimate its opponent if it weren’t so used to getting underestimated itself. 

Southeastern Louisiana will come to Peden Stadium Saturday to take on an undefeated Ohio as the lone FCS opponent on the Bobcats’ schedule this season.

It isn’t unlike three years ago, when Ohio upset Penn State as the Nittany Lions’ only MAC opponent, or on Sept. 26, when Ohio will take on another high-profiled Big Ten school in Minnesota.

The Bobcats know the preparation of going up against a heavily favored opponent, which is exactly why they know not to take this week’s Southeastern Louisiana matchup lightly.

“I see this as us having our hands full,” coach Frank Solich said. “They are very much a football team that will run and be physical with you, and will try to hit the big play with passes. They seem to be talented with a lot of very good defensive speed, so that will be a test for us.”

Southeastern Louisiana enters this weekend with a 2-0 record following victories over Florida Institute of Technology and Northwestern State.

The Lions have showcased their reliability in the running game early on, ranking seventh in the FCS with 302.5 yards on the ground per game. This run-heavy offense comes not only because they can, but because they have to. The Lions have passed the ball just 24 times in two games, completing just nine.

The Lions jumped off the stat sheet in the turnover department after they caused five interceptions and four fumble recoveries against FIT.

Ohio's offensive coordinator Tim Albin is familiar with Southeastern's program after his nephew played there under scholarship just a few years ago and said he knows better than to take this weekend lightly.

“They pressure from every direction, and they’re gonna bring it on every down,” Albin said. “Southeastern Louisiana has had an unbelievable first couple weeks in turnovers. There’s no way we’re going to be able to give in to that. They’re gonna be here, and we’re gonna be ready to play.”

Ohio will enter its second home game of the season trying to build off a 21-10 win against Marshall, which followed a season-opening 45-28 throttling of Idaho.

The Bobcats received a break this week in practice, as redshirt senior quarterback Derrius Vick was able to take almost a full week of first-team reps following an early exit against Marshall due to injury.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e3e830c0-5c86-11e5-bd11-3fcb85ae2aab"}}

Vick has looked sharp to open the year, completing 17 of 23 passes for two touchdowns and an interception in two games while splitting time with redshirt junior JD Sprague, who was also injured against Marshall. Sprague is less likely to see action this weekend after wearing a sling at practice throughout the week.

Meanwhile, the defense, arguably the strength of the Bobcats last weekend, will get a chance to show off its run-stopping power.

On paper, Southeastern Louisiana is actually bigger in size than Marshall and has more than 40 transfers from D-1 and junior college programs around the country. The Bobcats' coaching staff described the Lions as an athletic team that will be able to cause chaos on defense, and the challenge will be on Vick to take care of the football to keep the Bobcats out of trouble.

Whether it’s a punt, field goal or extra point, Albin said, “We want to finish every drive with a kick.”

@_tonywolfe_

aw987712@ohio.edu