Global Warnings: Make dorm living environmentally sound with these easy steps

Going green starts with the way we live, including our time spent in residential halls on campus.

We can’t engineer alternate energy sources while we’re in class or single-handedly end the coal industry. But the lifestyle choices we make as college students have little impacts that create big waves on campus.

It doesn’t have to start with earth-shattering projects or tireless volunteer work. It can actually take place within our dorm rooms.

Yes, you can eat, sleep and breathe environmentalism. And if you’re rolling your eyes at that statement, just know that it all comes back to benefit you in the end.

The first thing to do is actually take advantage of your recycling bin. While it seems time-consuming to have to carry out paper and plastic products separately, it means you have one less trash can being emptied into overflowing landfills.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d1e1baec-5806-11e5-a476-4fbbb7dc0e95"}}

Also, you can reduce the amount of waste you generate by buying reusable rags, dishes, silverware and grocery bags. After all, Americans throw out enough plastic utensils and cups a year to circle the equator 300 times.

If you’re adding things to your shopping list now, consider some eco-friendly cleaning supplies as well.

Everyday Stain and Odor Remover is $6 and has a natural formula derived from plant materials. Mrs. Meyer’s Lavender Surface Wipes are $3, portable and scrub dirt off most surfaces. Get some Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Packs for $5 on Amazon for your laundry.

Cleaning the environmentally-friendly way doesn’t have to empty your wallet or require driving hours to an off-kilter store. You can always read the labels on your supplies the next time you’re at Target, too.

Remember, if you don’t think you need something for your dorm room, or are only getting it because a random article on the Internet claimed you need it for college survival, don’t get it. One-third of the garbage generated in the country is unnecessary packaging material. Plus, it’ll save you space and money.

Other things to remember about efficient dorm living involve electricity and water. Basically, try not to use an unnecessary amount of either of them.

The five minute shower concept definitely doesn’t work for everybody and it doesn’t have to. But you can save the warm water for somebody else and listen to music while you have the faucet on. Once you hit the five song mark, you know to wrap things up.

When it comes to lights and energy, it all comes down to being efficient. Natural lighting is both better for energy costs and your well-being — it helps regulate your circadian rhythms. If it’s nighttime or you need extra lighting, just remember to flip the switch when you leave the room.

Other energy absorbents include anything and everything that’s plugged into the wall. Even if your laptop isn’t charging, just having it plugged into the wall saps energy. Try to unplug your appliances if you have time.

Living like an environmentalist shouldn’t consume your life. But over time, making little changes can contribute to an energy and resource efficiency. Whether you live on East, South or West, we should all be green.

Kat Tenbarge is a freshman majoring in journalism and environmental studies. What environmental issues do you think demand attention? Email her at kt154714@ohio.edu or tweet her @katsappho.