Peyton White, poses for a portrait on the Ohio University Golf Course last season.

Golf: Ohio looks toward Marshall Invitational

Freshman Ben Sattler looks to make his mark on this years team.

In the world of golf, pressure can rise on the green, but that's not always the case in Athens.

When freshman Ben Sattler was asked what the golf team enjoys listening to for music, he said: “Well, these guys are pretty into country. So, I have kind of gotten into the song House Party by Sam Hunt.”

Work hard, play hard

Ever since the start of the school year, the Bobcats have been practicing six days a week, coach Bob Cooley said.

In preparation for the upcoming Marshall Invitational, Cooley said the Bobcats have been perfecting their game and qualifying for the invite. 

The Marshall Invitational will take place Sept. 14th and 15th, and will consist of teams from the MAC and across the Midwest.

Looking toward the future of the program this year, three new freshmen were added to the squad. 

“Once they get their nerves down a bit they won't be bad,” Cooley said of the three freshmen.

With so many upperclassmen returning, Cooley said he didn’t see any surprises within the first two weeks of practice.

Regardless, winning the MAC Championship remains the main goal this year for the Bobcats, especially after an exceptional finish last year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1020e81c-5282-11e5-8902-5743bbb1d21a"}}

Sattler acclimating to Athens

Sattler is acclimating to Athens despite a time-consuming schedule.

“Its been busy, classes have been busy, and practice has been good," Sattler said. "The team has been great, with the whole first week stuff, getting into it.”

The past summer, Sattler traveled and competed in multiple tournaments including the North and South Amateur Championship in Pinehurst, North Carolina, and Hudson Junior. 

“I would like to play every time, that would be my goal," Sattler said. "I would like to be competitive in the MAC; that would put the foundation down for the future.”

White continues to shine

The summer was also busy for junior Peyton White, where he played in the U.S. Open qualifying, and the Southern Amateur Championship — shooting an 85 and 84, respectively.

Last year, White finished tied for fourth during the MAC Championship, and this year he hopes to continue on his strong season.

“We always set some goals, some being individual and some being for the team," White said. "We want to finish better than we did last year in the MAC, and hopefully take home the MAC Championship.”

Bonding is always a component of college sports, and that sentiment holds true for White and the Bobcats this season.

“We always spend a lot of time on the golf course together, and we also spend a lot of time off of it," White said. "It’s nice that the freshman have a set group of friends right away, ones they can count on, relay on, if they need anything."

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu