Ryan Luehrman, who now plays for OU, attempts to outrun his opponent from Toledo Central Catholic during Athens High School's State Championship Football game in 2014. (FILE)

High School Football: Athens looks to rebound from 0-2 start

Athens High school will look to rebound from its 0-2 start against Warren High school.

Athens High School has a good chance of winning its first game of the season Friday night.

The Bulldogs (0-2) will travel to Vincent to take on the Warriors of Warren High School (0-2) -- a match-up of two struggling teams.

Athens is coming off a 55-0 blowout loss which saw little offense from quarterback Brendan Sano and company, along with a week one road loss at Logan.

With former quarterback Joe Burrows graduated, the Bulldogs will have to find some continuity on offensive behind Sano and running back Zacciah Saltzman against the Warriors. 

Offense wasn’t a problem in week one for the Bulldogs, as Sano threw for 218 yards and two touchdowns alongside Saltzman’s 158 yards on the ground and five rushing touchdowns.

Week two was a different story, however. Athens only had 141 yards of total offense against Zanesville in the 55-point loss.

Yet, Athens could revamp its offense against a Warren defense that has given up 69 points in the first two weeks of the season.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3745e28c-557d-11e5-859b-3f5b48e628aa"}}

The Warriors have struggled in their first two games, losing the first game of the season at Meadowbrook, 49-0, and then losing 20-0 on the road to Marietta.

The Bulldogs' defense has also been questionable having given up 116 total points in the first two games.

@spencerholbrook

sh690914@ohio.edu