Bri Shaniuk

Histories of hOUme: Ohio University’s mascot has changed quite a bit from its initial design

Rufus the Bobcat hasn’t always been riding motorcycles pumping the crowd up.

Imagine that you are no longer an “Ohio University Bobcat” but are instead an “Ohio University Green and White.” If you were a student at OU 90 years ago, that would've been the case.

In 1925, after the school colors had been changed from blue and white to green and white, the discussion about a mascot started. Though this adjustment allowed for the students and faculty to come to a satisfactory mutual decision about the future of their alma mater, OU was still lacking a proper school mascot. Due to this, the athletic board at the time decided that it was time for a change.

While multiple ideas for numerous different animal mascots were presented that year, Athens citizen and Ohio University alumnus, Hal H. Rowland, took the overall prize with his award-winning idea: the Bobcat. That day, Rowland was gifted a $10 prize for his contributions.

It was on Dec. 7, 1925 that President E.B. Bryan of the university officially accepted and announced the school’s new mascot.

Though the decision was made in 1925, it was not until 35 years later that the original Bobcat mascot made its first appearance. On Oct. 22, 1960, the men who lived in Lincoln Hall created the very first paper mache Bobcat and presented him as a gift to the students of the university at OU’s Homecoming football game against Miami University. The Bobcat itself was designed by Thomas Schantz, a student in the Ohio University class of 1964.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e0df2664-6176-11e5-95fb-1f55312e20cc"}}

Ironically enough, OU beat out Miami with an ending score of 21-0, and finished the season out with a final record of 10-0. The team won the title of the NCAA National College Division Champion.

The very first life-size human Bobcat mascot position was held by Dan Nichols, a student in the class of 1963, during his sophomore year. Nichols got the job by default, as the original candidate suffered from a sprained ankle and could no longer fulfill the duties of the position. His sole task as mascot was to perform alongside the cheerleaders to help get the attention of the audience and keep their energy and devotion for the team high.

Since 1960, the Bobcat has been modified quite a few times.

In 1980, the male students of Lincoln Hall took note that the original mascot looked a little worn down, and as a result, they decided to host a 21st birthday for the Bobcat in 1981 to raise money for a new costume. Thanks to the party, the students raised more than $1,000 and were able to create a new costume with the help of the athletics department.

Irrespective of the alterations that the Bobcat has gone through, its origins and spirited background remain the same, forever representing the students of Ohio University and all that they stand for.

Bri Shaniuk is a freshman studying journalism. What do you think about Ohio University's mascot history? Email her at bs714714@ohio.edu.