Men's Golf: Ohio falters in day two at Marshall Invitational

Peyton White finishes seventh at Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational. 

Maybe it was a long first day of play or just the early Tuesday start, but Ohio slipped up on day two of the 2015 Joe Feaganes Marshall Invitational to tie for 10th out of 16 teams.

After day one the Bobcats were in second place, but fell eight spots Tuesday to tie for 10th place.

The highlight of Ohio's tournament was the performance by junior Peyton White, who led the field Monday for the first round and finished off day one tied for second.

White faltered during the first few holes Tuesday, but regained confidence to finish seventh in the tournament, shooting a three-round score of 206. He could be one of the premier golfers this year for Ohio, as coach Bob Cooley explained how valuable White is to the program.

"Peyton's striking was maybe the best I have ever seen at OU," Cooley said. "He was playing very well over the 36 holes, making some putts and had a lot of good shots. It just didn't carry over today. He was still hitting it all right, but just not crisp like before."

Grant Engel tied for 54th place, shooting a five over par to finish off the tournament. Ben Sattler and Ty Herriott tied for 63rd to finish off the match, each shooting seven over par.

Cooley said Sattler played well for his first collegiate tournament. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2d0cce06-5a5b-11e5-a911-4bf61f9645de"}}

"(Sattler) got a lot of valuable experience, and I think he will be a big asset for this team," he said. 

Mike Engelman rounded out the Bobcats, shooting eight over par, and tying for 69th place with a score of 221. 

Senior Brad Burgess competed as an individual, shooting a three-round score of 243 and tallying seven birdies. 

Belmont University won the tournament shooting 18 under par, with Bowling Green earning second place.

Ashton Van Horne of Belmont University was the tournament's medalist with a three-round score of 200, and Marshall’s Will Evans placed second with a 201 score.

Cooley added some insight as to what the team is looking to build upon for the rest of its season.

"(Monday) showed us what we could do. We are definitely going to be working on the positive things and pay attention to the negative things and practice on it and try to improve in the areas we are having problems," Cooley said.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu