APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Miranda Rights translated for Ohio University's international students

When an international student is arrested, the Athens Police Department or the Ohio University Police Department seek translators to help the questioning process go smoothly. 

For some Ohio University students, understanding law enforcement can be difficult — especially when English is not their primary language. 

According to OU's Office of Institutional Research, 1,860 international students were enrolled Fall Semester last year, creating potential language barrier scenarios for those students.

Chief Tom Pyle from the Athens Police Department said when his department encounters someone who doesn’t understand English, a interpreter is sought out before any interviews are done.

When someone is in police custody, or being questioned by police, the Miranda Rights — which outline the individual's rights — have to be read to and be understood by the individual. 

He added that APD hasn't had to find an interpreter in the past 25 years, but when they do, they turn to the university for help.

“Typically our segway into that world is to call the Ohio University Police Department,” Pyle said.

Sources who have helped APD in the past include OU's Multicultural Center and the Department of Modern Languages.

Modern Languages Departmental Administrator Jan Harmon said a translator from her department has not recently been needed and could not recall the last time it was needed.

She explained that it may be a difficult process to find a translator depending on where the student is from and who she has available in the office for the day.

“Commonly taught languages would be easier to find a translator for than other less commonly taught languages,” Harmon said.

Pyle said reading the Miranda Rights is an extremely rare occurrence.

“It would be even more rare to read Miranda to an international student who did not understand English,” Pyle said.

Reading the Miranda Rights is a legal requirement that states must respect all legal rights that are owed to a person, according to due process. If due process isn’t followed, there’s a chance a case can be dropped.

“The case wouldn’t get kicked out of court on a challenge to Miranda,” Pyle said.

He added that other evidence often holds the case together, especially when someone admits guilt.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9705aa9c-5e59-11e5-a53d-d3171881c527"}}

While domestic students learned about their rights while going through 12 years of schooling, International Student Union President Hashim Pashtun said international students have no formal training of their rights.

“International students should know their rights,” Pashtun said.

Pashtun said coming to OU after living in Afghanistan, India, Turkey and Pakistan was a culture shock for him.

“I have studied English since second grade,” Pashtun said, adding that passing the required English proficiency tests was easy for him.

All international students are required to submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language or International English Language Testing Service results, which show the university each individual’s understanding of English, according to the undergraduate admissions website.

Students who score low can still attend OU, but are required to enroll in the Ohio Program of Intensive English language course. The class teaches the English language and prepares students to take the required proficiency tests again.

“I’ve seen international students that are not allowed to attend any classes until they fulfill the requirement,” Pashtun said.

Pashtun said if an international student finds themselves in trouble with the police, they can call the Office of International Student and Faculty Services, but the office is only open until 5 p.m.

“Feel free to ask an officer, ‘What should I do if I get arrested?’” Pashtun said.

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu