JD Sprague, a redshirt sophomore quarterback, sends a ball flying towards Chase Cochran, a redshirt senior wide receiver. 

Notebook: Windham will be ready if called upon

Backup quarterback Greg Windham will likely be filling in as starter after J.D. Sprauge and Derrius Vick were injured against Marshall.

Ohio is no stranger to working with multiple quarterbacks.

Working most of the preseason with a dual-quarterback system, the Bobcats did not name senior redshirt quarterback Derrius Vick the starter until the weekend before the season opener.

So it should not come as a surprise if coach Frank Solich digs deeper into the quarterback chart this weekend, potentially adding redshirt junior Greg Windham into the equation.

Vick suffered an elbow injury to his throwing arm in Saturday’s 21-10 win over Marshall in the Battle for the Bell.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c057c088-5a4e-11e5-b680-f7af6045ea34"}}

Backup quarterback J.D. Sprague, another redshirt junior, replaced Vick, but was injured on Ohio’s final drive after a late hit in the fourth quarter.

Windham came in, finished the drive and might play a part in Ohio’s next matchup against Southeast Louisiana on Sunday at Peden Stadium.

“I’m ready whenever the opportunity is available,” Windham said at practice Monday, referring to both the past against Marshall and the future. “Unfortunately J.D. got hurt, but I was ready to go in and get the job done.”

With Vick off to the side toward the end of practice and Sprague in a sling, it was Windham who received the first team reps. Freshman Quinton Maxwell also took snaps.

But offensive coordinator Tim Albin said it is not uncommon for the players who were not featured as much in previous games to pick up reps the next practice.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f08ef0ea-5a36-11e5-8f6b-67baaa86c9b4"}}

“You never know when an injury is going to happen, as you saw in the game,” Albin said. “If we don’t utilize Mondays the way we do, we wouldn’t feel comfortable putting Greg—he’s our third team guy—into the game. He did a great job for us.”

Immediate signs show Vick has a better chance to suit up Saturday as opposed to Sprague. Either way, the quarterbacks featured in the game will have already spent time with the first teamers.

“It’s all business for me,” Windham said. “You ask those guys in the lockerroom. I’m always getting those guys pumped up and ready to go. So it doesn’t change my mindset at all.”

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu