Nicole Dailey, left, and Torie McCollum, right, discuss the student senate intern program at the first student senate meeting of the year.

Ohio University Student Senate fills senator positions, staffs committees

Ohio University Student Senate filled a variety of seats Wednesday, one week after six members of the body resigned.

After six resignations last week, Student Senate appointed members to fill a variety of vacancies Wednesday.

Veteran’s Affairs Chair Tyler Daniels was appointed to three positions: senator-at-large, member of the new Committee on Leadership Development and member of Budget Committee, which needed to fill at least one open voting seat to resume operation.

“I’ve been on Student Senate as the Senator-At-Large previously, and I’m really excited to get back in the same position because I kind of get to hopefully restart some things I didn’t get around to the first time,” Daniels said.

Daniels is keeping his veteran’s affairs chair position, but said it is possible another veteran could step in to take his place in coming weeks.

Praelo Zandonadi, academic affairs commissioner, was also appointed to the Budget Committee, raising the total to five voting members.

“Essentially budget committee is responsible for evaluating any requests that involve money, budgetary measures for all the events that we have — and we have great events so I really just wanted to be part of the process of getting these events through and doing that in the most effective and efficient way possible,” Zandonadi said.

A Committee on Leadership Development was formed, as is required by senate’s Rules and Procedures. Education Senator Nicole Kromalic, Women’s Affairs Senator Kentisha Dinham, a Director of Alumni Relations Emily Klein, Professional Greek Representative Garret Connor, Zandonadi and Daniels will staff the committee.

A few vacant positions remain, but senate executives said they aren’t concerned about empty seats in the fifth week of the semester.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="316f6fdc-5ccf-11e5-993a-fb4f22720fa0"}}

“I probably get one or two emails everyday inquiring about it, and I send out the application,” senate President Gabby Bacha said. “People are interested, it just takes a little bit of time. I’m not concerned at all because if you look at the body, we have a pretty good turnout.”

Also at Wednesday’s meeting, senate split into small groups to discuss their external goals and sexual assault prevention.

Zandonadi identified working with the Student Union to organize a plan for cultural competency classes as an external goal for the semester.

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler