The house at 31 Coventry Lane sits on 2.86 acres and occupies 4,586 square feet, including a finished basement. 

'Post' guide to Ohio Inspector General investigations

Following the news of the Ohio Inspector General's Office requesting records from OU about Coventry Lane, The Post has a guide to how that office operates.

The Ohio Office of the Inspector General has again asked for records about Ohio University's negotiations concerning a new presidential residence. It is the second time the agency asked OU for records. The office cannot comment on whether it is conducting an investigation.

As a refresher — or for those new to campus — The Post put together a guide detailing what the Inspector General's office does, how it works and what the results of any investigation might yield:

The Inspector General is appointed by Ohio Gov. John Kasich and the agency's slogan is "Safeguarding Integrity in State Government." The agency opens each investigation by stating its mission is to “investigate alleged wrongful acts or omissions” by members of state government. The agency says it is non-partisan, working as an independent third-party to ensure laws are followed.

Reports show investigations typically open based on referrals, often from state agencies. Faculty wrote a letter last spring calling for an investigation into OU’s planned purchase, then subsequent lease, of an off-campus residence for President Roderick McDavis and his wife Deborah. It is unclear if this triggered the Inspector General’s requests for records, though faculty believe this affirms their call for an investigation.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b602cf4c-50d5-11e5-a91a-4bcb5aee9c14"}}

OU is a publicly-funded state institution. It receives state tax dollars, appropriated by the Ohio General Assembly, to support a large percentage of its activities. According to the university, no state money or student tuition dollars were used to purchase the Coventry Lane residence.

In the past year, the Inspector General has investigated complaints of political influence at the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, improper use of a public database and the Ohio Bureau of Worker’s Compensation.

An investigation does not mean there was wrongdoing: in 2014, only 55 percent of 95 cases closed by the agency found wrongful action. But it is not common for the agency to open an investigation: in 2014, the agency received 350 complaints but only 82 cases were opened.

If an investigation yields signs of wrongdoing, the agency — in this case, a university — has 60 days to respond to the findings. OU officials have maintained the university did nothing wrong.

It is important to note the Inspector General has not announced an official investigation into OU. On Aug. 3, the agency asked for a more detailed list of records. The university has until Sept. 4 to send those records.

@WillDrabold

dd195710@ohio.edu