Post Haste

Post Haste: No, a pawpaw isn’t ‘like a papaya;’ OU president meets Rob Portman

The Pawpaw Festival is this weekend.

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Friday, Sept. 11, 2015:

You’ve done it again, Bobcats. It’s Friday.

If you’ve read The Weekender you’ll know this weekend marks Athens’ 17th annual Pawpaw Festival.

Don’t know what a pawpaw is? You’re not the only one — and no, it’s not like a pomegranate.

“Is it like a papaya?,” asked Sarah Zallow, a sophomore studying early childhood education. “I’ve never heard of that.”

The pawpaw is a fruit native to Southeastern Ohio that looks sort of like a pear and tastes sort of like a banana. Sort of.

You can find wild pawpaws growing on skinny, short(ish) trees near Radar Hill, or other forested areas in the eastern U.S.

You can also find them in beers, pies and pastries today, Saturday and Sunday at the Pawpaw Festival, held at Lake Snowden.

Weather

There’s a 30 percent chance of light rain this afternoon. Other than that, expect clear skies and a high of 80.(Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• President McDavis met with Sen. Rob Portman Wednesday. (The Post)

• Ohio legislators will soon return to the statehouse after summer's recess. (The Post)

• Remembering 9/11: An Alden Library archivist talked to The Post about opening Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium 14 years ago so students could watch the events as they unfolded. (The Post)

Scores & Game Times

No scores to report. But The Post’s sports staff have prepared their picks for Ohio’s home opener vs. Marshall. (The Post)

You might also want to know....

Agricultural giant Monsanto said yesterday it will appeal a ruling by a French court which found the company responsible for the poisoning of a French farmer, after he inhaled weedkiller. (Yahoo!)

A Los Angeles man was found guilty Thursday of murdering his roommate over a $10 cable bill dispute.(CBS)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens bar specials tonight

If there were a bar special tonight, it would be at the top of this page.

@JeremyHTweets

jh082913@ohio.edu