Post Haste

Post Haste: OU students Yak about rainstorm, Wi-Fi difficulties; Ohio football wins opener

Did you escape the storm yesterday?

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Friday, Sept. 4, 2015:

Welcome to Friday, Bobcats. And the start of a three-day weekend, to boot.

Did you escape Thursday’s surprise monsoon unscathed? By the looks of social media in Athens, some students did not. At about 4:30 p.m. yesterday, the anonymous message board Yik Yak was flooded by colorful quips about the storm.

“Captain’s log day 14: Tanaka has finally set sail,” one user wrote, referring to one of OU’s new residence halls. “Winds are high, the waters are rough, and crewmen are dying left and right.”

Some turned the storm into an opportunity to poke fun at OU’s Office of Information Technology.

“Plot twist: massive storm short-circuits the new servers and the IT department is back to square one,” one user wrote, referring to a system upgrade announced yesterday.

OU OIT said in an email yesterday that upgrades to the university’s routers should allow the system to support up to five times as many devices.

Another poster levied a theory: “The storm gods are angered by our new Wi-Fi.”

Weather

Consider snagging an umbrella on your way out the door today. Another 30 percent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. High of 89. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• Code of conduct violations are on the rise. (The Post)

• OU OIT shut down campus Wi-Fi early this morning to keep working to fix the connection difficulties. (The Post)

• U.S. Congressman Steve Stivers hit up campus yesterday to check out the innovation center. (The Post)

Scores & Game Times

OU Football beat Idaho last night. 

You might also want to know....

A county Clerk of Courts in Kentucky was jailed yesterday for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Several of Kim Davis’s deputies said they will now grant the licenses. (AP)

Russia announced Thursday it plans to construct a habitable base on the moon. (TechInsider)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens bar specials tonight

If you find a drink special tonight on a Friday night in Athens, let us know.

Thanks for reading The Post. Here’s a gif of Morton hill during a class change.

Morton

@JeremyHTweets

jh082913@ohio.edu