Post Haste

Post Haste: Survey says more college students regularly smoke weed than cigarettes; OU football starts tonight

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015:

Tobacco ban? No problem. College kids would rather smoke a blunt.

No, really. A national survey released Tuesday showed more college students smoke marijuana daily (or almost daily) than smoke cigarettes for the first time since the yearly survey began in 1980.

5.9 percent of students reported smoking pot at least 20 times over a 30-day period in 2014 — the highest rate since the 1980s — while 5 percent said they smoke cigarettes daily.

Despite this win for weed, Ohio University still frowns upon marijuana usage, as does the state of Ohio, so smoking a victory joint on College Green would likely be a bad idea.

Another tidbit: only 63 percent of college students reported having had a drink in the previous 30 days. That’s down 4 percent from 2000, and 19 percent from 1981.

Weather

Hot again today. High of 91. Clouds here and there; watch for an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• Trust members have decided to tear down the building on West Union Street that once housed Jack Neal Floral (The Post)

• Casa Nueva is 30 years old. (The Post)

• There are a bunch of brightly colored cigarette bins uptown now. Thank the city for that. (The Post)

Scores & Game Times

Football is (finally) here: the Bobcats will take on the Vandals in their season opener tonight at Idaho. Catch the game on ESPN3. (The Post)

You might also want to know....

Ohio Governor and Presidential hopeful John Kasich Wednesday called marijuana legalization a “terrible idea.” He continued: “I don’t think we should do that. We need to tell young people to stay off drugs.” (Michigan Live)

A second County Clerk of Courts in Kentucky has vowed to deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples. (NBC)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens bar specials tonight

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

The Pub: $2.50 well drinks and $2.50 Cali Boy and Vegas Bombs

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.

Courtside Pizza: $2 domestic bottles, $3 Jameson, $2.50 Long Islands from 4-9 p.m.

Thanks for reading The Post. Here’s a gif of the new cigarette butt disposals in uptown Athens.

Cigarette Butts Athens@JeremyHTweets

jh082913@ohio.edu