Ohio forward Alexis Milesky slides to take the ball from Robert Morris defender Maddison Duncan during a game on Sept. 11 at Chessa Field. The Bobcats finished the game with a clean sheet, beating the Colonials 3-0. 

Soccer: Akron's late goals give Ohio first conference loss

Ohio gave up late goals against Akron and fell 2-0.

A strong offensive showing Friday night is exactly what Ohio needed in its Mid-American Conference opener against Buffalo. But it probably didn’t need a setback Sunday afternoon against Akron.

A mostly lethargic Ohio team held Akron off the score sheet until the 87th minute. The Bobcats backline was fatigued, and goalie Taylor Smith had no more saves left in her.

Ohio (3-6, 1-1 MAC) lost to Akron 2-0 Sunday, ending its three-game winning streak.

“I think it is a learning experience. We’ll grow from it,” Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers said. “Today we just weren’t quite there to compete the whole 90 minutes.”

Though weather and fatigue were factors in Ohio’s loss, not getting scoring chances is ultimately what hurt the Bobcats the most.

Ohio had solid runs from Hannah Jaggers and junior Alexis Milesky, but no one was able to get a shot on or in the goal.

It was the lack of mental preparedness that kept Ohio scoreless for the first time in four games. But Rodgers isn’t worried.

“We’re going to prepare our mentality for this (upcoming) weekend,” Rodgers said. 

Akron (4-5-1, 1-1 MAC) had momentum throughout the match, as it totaled 27 shots compared to Ohio's five. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="801101ac-572d-11e5-9c8b-d30514b7d786"}}

In the 16th minute, Akron looked like it would take the lead with a shot from just inside the 18-yard box brought Smith off her line to clear. The ball came back into play and wing-back Kelly Zebrowski cleared that shot off the line — ending Akron's attack.

Ohio’s responded five minutes later in the 21st minute when Milesky dribbled down the left flank and evaded a defender at the touchline. She passed it to Carly Manso at the penalty spot, but she couldn't gain control. An Akron clearance placed the ball right at the feet of Megan Niebuhr, whose shot sailed high over the crossbar.

Despite giving up two goals at the end, Smith’s performance in goal was worth noting. She had 10 saves and kept a sluggish Ohio team fighting for one point.

Rodgers said the confidence is there for all three goalkeepers, but Smith is the one setting herself apart.

“She’s still learning to be a top level, collegiate goalkeeper,” Rodgers said. “We are very confident in her.”

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu