Junior Alexis Milesky dodges defenders in Ohio's game against Robert Morris.

Soccer: Ohio looks to continue success against Xavier

Bobcats look to pick up last non-conference win against Xavier. 

The look on the Bobcats' faces Friday after the 3-0 win against Robert Morris said it all: trust had been restored.

Last Friday's win was Ohio's first of the season, but the Bobcats won't have long to celebrate as a trip to Cincinnati to take on Xavier awaits.

Although the Bobcats' attacking woes appear to be over, one game against the lackluster Colonials isn't a proper barometer for how the team is doing. 

If the Bobcats truly hope to gain some momentum, they will have to get another win before starting their conference schedule next week. 

"I know Xavier is having a really good year for themselves. They've scored a lot of goals in their past few games, so you know they are going to be very confident," Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers said. "But I think we are very confident as well, especially coming off a three-goal performance with a shutout, so I think it's going to be a great game."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="89ca866c-5d5b-11e5-98ca-3f1fd219e659"}}

Keeping a shutout could be essential if the Bobcats hope to beat the Musketeers, as they haven't been shutout all season. Meanwhile, the Bobcats have been shutout in four of their six games and have struggled for consistency. 

But over the past few games the defense seems to have fixed itself, junior Alexis Milesky is turning her boundless energy into goal-scoring prowess and sophomore Celeste Fushimi-Karns and freshman Stephanie Rowland are delivering set piece opportunities. 

"I feel good about our offensive production, and I think we should be in a good place going into Friday," Rodgers said. 

This, along with the win against the Colonials, has given the Bobcats a major boost in moral and they will look to that — and their increased chemistry — to surprise the Musketeers.

"I wasn't playing but the girls that were out there worked their a--es off to get that (win). I think afterwards it's good to have that win going into our next game feeling a bit more confident," senior Leah Sandercock said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f508be0c-5d6b-11e5-8ed1-cf184a467a1f"}}

Sandercock is currently day-to-day with an ankle injury, but her leadership as one of the senior captains has helped the team get through tough stretches this season. While she can't currently contribute on the field, her voice and ability to teach Ohio's young back line will help stop a prolific Xavier offense that has scored 2-plus goals in all-but-one game this season.

"Getting the new players settled in and gelling with the returning players will take some time," Rodgers said. "(But) I think, most importantly, we want to score more goals, and we want to get a shutout."

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu